The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

So purchased 3 German Blue Rams from my LFS 2-3 weeks ago. They were stressed with no color but after a few days getting use to their new home they brightened up and are looking great.

My question (not really a concern because I like the look of the fish) is are they all German Blue Rams? Below you can see the three different fish. The first one is the one in question. The second and third are the other two that I picked up. I also believe that the second image is the mate of the first based upon how "buddy buddy" they are and protective of one corner of the tank. The third looks stressed here (maybe it was the camera in its face), normally it looks more like the second image.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response! Glad to hear that they are all GBRs, I just was a little concerned when there was no pink and very limited black in one of the 3.

·
Registered
548 Posts
imo first is POSSIBLY male and others are females

hard to tell with first pic cuz no dorsal fin and its a gr x gbr (gold ram x german blue ram) of some type so it has no black dot to use for sexing. but the vents look like that of a male from this angle . would need a clearer pic though preferably one that shows its dorsal and ventricle fins

second pic you can see no elongated dorsal , pink belly, what appears to be short vents, and 'jewels' in the black dot on the side of her body, all indication of female

last one has what looks like a short dorsal fin and jewels, maybe slightly pink belly so Id say also female as not all females have pink bellys, I am pretty sure it has to due with breeding and readiness to spawn, so the pink can come and go

theres a good chance they are all female but the first one could be a male, especially if its "buddy buddy" with one of the fems

all rams forsure though they seem to have a little more gold than most. the top one does forsure. probably gold and blue ram cross

/edit
on second look I am not sure about #2's black dot, I cant tell if its jeweld or weird angle
new pics of #1 and 2 would help....all though that bright pink belly and short spine might be good enough for ID
hopefully someone else can chime in

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ras,

Thanks for the input. I had considered a Gold Ram for the first but I had not considered a cross. I will try to get a better pic tomorrow when the lights turn back on. As for some more details about your remarks:

1st pic: Black part of dorsal fin sits slightly higher than rest of fin. Can't comment on vent.

2nd pic: Small amount of jewels around the black dot, not in it. The fish started to get pinker and fatter over the past couple days (getting ready to breed?)

3rd pic: has a more dramatic pink belly, it seemed rather stressed with the camera out.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
The pink in the belly is a for sure sign of a female.
I'd say
Male
Female *Dominate female*
Female

·
Registered
295 Posts
The first is definitely a male and the second is definitely a female as you can see her pink belly. She even looks a little plump like she might have some eggs in there. As for the third it is hard to tell from that photo but looks like a female. The one surefire way to tell if a GBR is a female is the pink/red belly. There are other signs that can point you in the right direction but that is the only sure way to tell.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update:

Looks liked fish pictured in 1 and 2 bread last night/today thus supporting everyone's assertions that #1 is male, #2 is female, and looks #3 is female as well. Here is to good luck that the eggs will hatch tomorrow but I am placing higher stock in the rest of the fish eating them first.

Thanks all for your help!

·
Registered
295 Posts
I thought she looked a little plump in that photo. Having seen enough of the chubby females with the bright red bellies you start to know that look. Plus you see a little whitish thing coming out of her and the male, part of they're reproductive organs I believe, and they'll typically breed within a day or so of that.

·
Registered
332 Posts
How are your rams doing? I really like the way they look and want to keep some myself but everything I've read says cichlids are tough to keep and I am definitely a beginner

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The rams are doing well. They are a little skittish when you walk in the room or make a sudden movement but once they feel comfortable they will come out and watch you. They don't seem to mind any of the fish except for the angel who harasses them every once in a while.

They are voracious eaters and will take anything from flakes to bloodworms to algae wafers.

As I mentioned they laid eggs but as I suspected they were all consumed by the next morning. The parents seemed rather protective of them except for when the cory's came to investigate.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts