The Planted Tank Forum banner

German Blue Ram mating and cannibalism

5334 2
I have 2 female German Blue Rams, one male. Over the past month or two one of the females seems to have paired with the male. The other female was being picked on and eventually seemed to develop a swim bladder problem.

In this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMQbbD2jlH4 you can see the pair doing a cool mating thing and the sickly one in the corner of the screen. I came home today with some methylene blue and was ready to treat her only to find this
. Has anyone seen this before? The pair would pick on her but they were never overly aggressive that I saw. Is it possible that she was eaten? Is it possible that she had bloat and her guts blew out?! But seriously, anyone have experience with this before?
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12,433 Posts
I find that to be pretty normal. Fish are not into religion so have no qualms about eating a dead fish. At that point it is just another tasty tidbit they found floating around.
Before we judge the fish too harshly , it may pay to remember that at least they kill each other for survival rather than simple religion!

·
Registered
11,717 Posts
Ditto: Fish eat other fish.

Also, German Blue Rams are almost always monogamous, and will chase all other Rams out of their territory. Their territory is usually the whole tank.

You should have removed the 'third wheel' a long time ago. The stress of being harassed and not being able to get away from it contributed to her poor health.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.