Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Specs for the tank I need help on

1st tank
20 long
Activflora substrate
Well planted but will be heavily planted once it grows better in

I was planning celestial pearl danios, ruby tetras and some type of center peice fish in the 1st tank. Considering a solo female ram, will a solo girl be okay? Or a pair of girl rams? Could also do sparkling gouramis or some very pretty guppies. I need a center peice fish for this tank, or it will look bare.

In case I need to move fish around, I have a 2nd tank specs below, I only have 7 panda cories in it currently because everyone else is in quarantine. I actually had set stock for these tanks but my L-129 didn't make quarantine, several ruby tetras didnt make quarantine, several celestials were killed by the ember tetras because they are butt heads. :( I kicked them out back to the store.

I have a 2nd 20 long
Pool filter sand
Eheim 250 /2213
This tank will have
7 panda Cories
4 baby Venezuelan cory
3 unknown cory type
Moderately planted, giant driftwood covered in bolbitis and half the tank has plants trying to root brand new planted

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I've never kept a single female GBR; but have had single males in different tanks with no problems. Dont see why it couldn't be done with a female.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Will it be okay witn ruby tetras and celestials?
As far as them getting along I dont see a problem. But what temp are you keeping your Celestials at? If I recall they like a slightly cooler tank whereas the german blue rams like it 80 degrees +.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I just want to offer a bit of a suggestion. I'd recommend picking 1 species of cory and filling their numbers to 6+. Preferably 8+. This is because the cories could start competing for territory once bigger and if you have too many species that could stress the ram. The ram swims at the same level as the cories and it could create greater conflict once the tank is well established. Just something to think about. It can always work out well, but I personally prefer to always have a decent amount of one species so they feel completely at home and with enough space so there isn't conflict.

I'd also consider not having that many cory catfish because they will all be at the bottom. What about trading some of that bio load in for some tetras? Then you'd get some middle level swimming fish. Just a thought.

lksdrinker is right, CPDs don't like temperatures above 80 and GBRs need to be above 80+. Those fish aren't really compatible long term.

I have a single female ram and a single female apisto agazzi in a 29 gallon tank and they get along great. Both their mates passed and they are enjoying their life in a community retirement home. They are kept with 8 bronze cories and 12 neon tetras in a lush tank. If I kept more cories in that tank, they would really start fighting for territory (I had more in there and they used to compete more. I had cories getting picked on, etc.)

A 20 gallon is still pretty small so I wouldn't recommend stuffing that many bottom feeders in there.

If you'd like to find a good list of fish you can keep in a 20G tank, I'd look into this book: http://smile.amazon.com/Best-Freshwater-Nano-Species-Invertebrates/dp/0982026250?sa-no-redirect=1

It was written by one of the members on here, msjinkzd, and she is quite knowledgable on micro tanks and species like you are dealing with. She'll be your best source to find out more.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I actually have 3 tanks going, and was wondering if I needed to move the celestials and the rubies to the cooler water tank of the 2nd tank. I do actually have a few too many cories in that second tank. Most likely some rehomes are in the future, but the were too cute to pass up at auction.

The first tank I posted specs on have no fish in it. So the stock can become whatever it needs to be, i was just going to originally put the celestials and rubies. Though the more that I think about it the celestial and ruby tetras might get put in the spare 10 gallon I have.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.