The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does my male German blue RAM have Popeye or possibly something else? How is it best treated. I posted these pictures on my Facebook group. And most people seem to think this is Popeye. I just want to be sure the little bit that I see behind the eye isn't symptomatic of something other than Popeye. I just noticed it today, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't there 3 days ago. The fishes fins are erect his colors are good and he is eating and acting fine
Nature Organism Vertebrate Underwater Fish
Nature Organism Vertebrate Underwater Fish

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Does my male German blue RAM have Popeye or possibly something else? How is it best treated. I posted these pictures on my Facebook group. And most people seem to think this is Popeye. I just want to be sure the little bit that I see behind the eye isn't symptomatic of something other than Popeye. I just noticed it today, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't there 3 days ago. The fishes fins are erect his colors are good and he is eating and acting fine View attachment 1025031 View attachment 1025031 View attachment 1025032 View attachment 1025031 View attachment 1025032 View attachment 1025031 View attachment 1025032

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
When it is one eye, this usually points to an injury. That the fish is still acting normally and eating further points to this. Popeye occurs when fluids accumulate around/ behind eyes from inflammation ( inflammation caused from bacterial infection).
Now, the injury itself can cause infection if environmental conditions are not good. Do you have breeding behaviors in tank? Injuries commonly occur with scales, eyes, and fins when cichlids are breeding and there are more than one pair in tank?

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
When it is one eye, this usually points to an injury. That the fish is still acting normally and eating further points to this. Popeye occurs when fluids accumulate around/ behind eyes from inflammation ( inflammation caused from bacterial infection).
Now, the injury itself can cause infection if environmental conditions are not good. Do you have breeding behaviors in tank? Injuries commonly occur with scales, eyes, and fins when cichlids are breeding and there are more than one pair in tank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.