The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am trying to breed German Blue Rams. I am a college student and will be back in 2 days. I have just checked the water condition for the city and t says "Water hardness*** 18 grains per gallon or 320 p.p.m." What can I do to have soft water for the rams? Bottled Water?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Pet Fish Talk podcast has a segment on breeding Blue Rams. It's not outrageously helpful, but it's cool to "listen" to someone talking about their successful breeding experiences:
http://www.petfishtalk.com/interviews/breeding_rams/breeding_rams.htm
Good luck!

Hello,
I am trying to breed German Blue Rams. I am a college student and will be back in 2 days. I have just checked the water condition for the city and t says "Water hardness*** 18 grains per gallon or 320 p.p.m." What can I do to have soft water for the rams? Bottled Water?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Indian almond leaves or using peat moss will also help drop the ph and put tannins in the water an help the water be more acidic. This tends to induce breading in many SA species. Angels also like this...you will get slightly dark "tanned" water but it helps breading.I usually use Indian almond leaves in a mesh bag thrown in the filter. They can be had on aquabid fairly easily. Unless your water has super high buffering capacity they should work just fine

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.