The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ^^ So i just got my betta fish today, he is blue and his name is Geppetto. This is my first time ever owning a fish. He has his own little castle which he likes to swim under and hid behind. He seems pretty active and he knows his name when I call him. He seems to like me, as his fins move quick when he sees me. I'll feed him once a day and clean his bowl once a week. And also make sure he has fresh water.
My mom has had plenty of bettas who live in bowls with real plants in them, but my just has his castle. I live in a dorm so i want so i'm trying to make sure the room is a good temperature for him.

Please any good tips on keeping him healthy and happy would be most appreciated. :bounce::proud:

·
Registered
652 Posts
Bettas should be kept at a constant temp between 75-82 degrees F and needs a 'bowl' that is AT LEAST 2.5 gallons, and smaller and you won't have him for long i am afraid. I only use the tetra heaters from walmart, great little heaters that look good, don't take up to much room and keep the tank at a constant temp. of 79 degrees F.

I breed bettas and keep each of my males (plakat and crowntails) in a 5 gallon planted, which are filtered and heated. You can see one is my siggy. Females share a divided 10 gallon and one in each of the community tanks of mine (20 gallons).

They get fed froozen blood worms before i spawn or as treats every week, and the rest of the time i switch between flake and freeze-dried bloodworms. I always have a pinch of aquarium salt in each of there aquariums.

I know that collage takes a lot of time for studying and classes so keeping a fish in a bowl without a filter is going to be difficult. When i had to get a 1.5 gallon bowl to house a younge male for a few months, i had to change the water every other day to keep it clean, amonia builds up fast trust me! In the 5 gallon i change 50% a month. Super easy and and beautiful healthy fish!

Good luck keeping Geppetto, bettas are so lovable and rewarding creatures to own!

PS, always use water conditioner to the new water when doing water changes! This will remove harmful minerals and additives that will harm your little guy!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information! I read online that if i use tap water thats been out in room temperature for a few days that will be good for it when I change his water, is that true?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
great! lol i live in a dorm that has no air conditioner, but i use a fan. so i think the temp is good for him. i'm gonna try to find a pet shop around here so i can get him some conditioner. maybe i can order it online?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
good I'll look for the tetra brand. how long have you been breeding bettas? and do they have normal sleeping patterns? mine seems to be sleepy right bout now, though he's still active

·
Registered
652 Posts
I am on my second successful spawn, so have no been breeding long, 1/2 year maybe? But i have kept Bettas for years previously. And i finally found 2 beautiful breeding pairs. I get $10 a betta here, pet store sells them for $15 each, so i make a good amount of money! I'm saving up for University. haha

Honestly, i think that bettas just sleep when its dark and without any distractions.
And with long finned bettas they need to rest often, plakats and females are jut crazy little fish with to much energy and never seem to rest. So it is noraml for your betta to act a little sleepy and rest his fins on the gravel/ decor for a few minutes at a time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have any of your bettas tried to jump out of their bowls? Mine hasn't, I'm just a worry wort and don't want him to hurt himself, or worse, die, by jumping out of his bowl.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Thanks for the information! I read online that if i use tap water thats been out in room temperature for a few days that will be good for it when I change his water, is that true?

That is actually NOT good and is old info. Used to be that cities used only chlorine in the tap water, and yes leaving the water sit out for a few days would allow the chlorine to dissipate. But most municipalities use chloramines now, which is a combo of chlorine and ammonia. Leaving the water sit out will not do one thing to make this water less deadly for a fish. So you MUST you a water conditioner when you do water changes.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hello ^^ So i just got my betta fish today, he is blue and his name is Geppetto. This is my first time ever owning a fish. He has his own little castle which he likes to swim under and hid behind. He seems pretty active and he knows his name when I call him. He seems to like me, as his fins move quick when he sees me. I'll feed him once a day and clean his bowl once a week. And also make sure he has fresh water.
My mom has had plenty of bettas who live in bowls with real plants in them, but my just has his castle. I live in a dorm so i want so i'm trying to make sure the room is a good temperature for him.

Please any good tips on keeping him healthy and happy would be most appreciated. :bounce::proud:
Congrats on your first fish! Bettas are great.

My betta is on my desk and I like to exercise him occasionally. I have a small pocket mirror that I hold up to the bowl so that he sees himself. He will flare his gills and shake his tail. It is fun to watch and I think it adds interest for him too.

I agree about the water conditioner. You can get some almost anywhere that sells fish food. I got my first bottle of it at my grocery store (Tetra brand). I like to keep a gallon jug with treated water so I can top off the bowl when necessary in addition to changes. This is especially important in winter when you are more likely to get evaporation because of the dry air.

Have fun and welcome to fishkeeping :)

·
Registered
430 Posts
My betta is a perpetual motion machine and loves to crawl under plants. He's almost gotten stuck trying to swim UNDER my Elantine triandra and has uprooted some sections. Any time anyone walks close to his bowl he'll do his semi aggressive "give me food" dance, where he looks like he's trying to get through the glass so he can slap you around until you give him food.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.