The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I moved the inhabitants of my 29 to a 40 Breeder once I had more space for a larger tank. More plants to come soon.

Eqipment:
Current Satellite LED + Pro
Filstar XP3
Hydor 200w in line heater
Red Sea Reactor 500
Pressurized CO2

Fish:
Rasbora espei
Oryzias woworae (blue rice fish)
Oto's
Japonica

Plants:
Hygrophila angustifolia
Rotala indica
A. nana

Attachments

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I highly recommend a heater controller with that heater. Finnex makes one that is about $30-40 on Amazon and will turn the heater off if it exceeds a certain temperature. I suggest setting it a couple degrees higher than the heater. Hydor inline heaters are hit or miss on failing after a few years.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing the tank progress!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Nice tank, George! I really like how you left the front of the tank and the back right corner open like that. Love the rice fish selection, too.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Moved the reactor to the left so it is not so obvious.

Added a bunch of stuff. Thanks to Bartohog for most of the new plants:

fish:
a few more otos
Cardinal tetras

plants:
Lilaeopsis brasiliensis
Ranalisma rostrata
Helianthum tenellum
Limnophila mini vietnam
Ludwigia sp. rubin
Ludwigia pantanal
Pogostemon erectus
Pogostemon stellatus type 2 (narrow leaf)
Rotala colorata
Staurogyne purple
Persicaria Sao Paulo
Bacopa salzmannii
Alternanthera cardinalis
Nesaea crassicaulis

Attachments

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just wanted to update as I added a second fixture for better front to back spread. Good growth in the past week with only one light in place, but the top few inches in the front and back were too dark for my liking with just one fixture. Have the Daylight LED's at 75% on each unit.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here is a FTS from today. I've moved some of the driftwood around. Will probably make another minor tweak or two to the driftwood in the coming weeks. Trimmed a few stems recently as well.

You plants looks great! Can I ask where you got the Persicaria Sao Paulo? I just looked it up and think I need some - lol.
I got it from the for sale section here, from Bartohog. It is a very nice contrast plant with a great red color to it.

Great looking tank, I hope to have my 40 breeder looking like that soon. Keep it up its awesome
Thanks Kram! I'm sure you will get yours where you want it to be.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wet Wednesday update.

I've moved some more driftwood around as well as the placement of some of the plants. Blyxa is growing in very well. Nesea is seeing little vertical growth but I've noticed some side shoots coming out now. A. cardinalis is very slow to grow as is the Staurogyne purple, but that has sent off some side shoots, so I'm hopeful that I'll see something coming from it soon. Ludwigia rubin is still my star plant here, growing like mad and throwing off new shoots all over the place. Did a water change and trim on Monday, went lean with my ferts this week as I noticed a bit more algae than I was happy with and it is already improving.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts