The Planted Tank Forum banner

Geniuses of the aquascaping world~ Please help!

3798 21
So...erm... I'm getting a 20 gal long. I have NO idea how to aquascape it. I'm not getting it until summer 2011. I, at the moment, have no experience past betta bulbs which have flourished. But~ I am currently setting up a simple aquascape with rocks and a carpet in a nano.
I NEED a carpet and at the moment have my eye on this plant.
I will be using driftwood and rocks. I haven't aquired those yet, but they are available to me in many different shapes and sizes. Any ideas? I love a very grown in look.
The fauna will be harlequin rasboras, zebra danios, cherry shrimp, and a betta :3
Well then.... "Geniuses of the aquascaping world~ Please help!"
:{D

I don't need help anymore~ I know what I am going to do. Thank you~ Please close this thread!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think dwarf sag looks very good for a iwagumi. (just had a major keyboard fail and when i clicked to fix it the suggestion was wigwam ~LOL)
I love that style, but I'm already doing that in my nano, and I'd like something a bit more... fun. More variety, cha know? I know iwagumi is a great choice for a begginer like myself because it isn't very difficult and still looks great, I'm just already doing it and dont want 2 tanks looking similar to each other!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Using the golden ratio, the tallest plant/piece of wood/rock can be the very top of the convex. The rest of your plants/hardscape should gradually slope down to the substrate. Will this be low tech or high tech?

·
Registered
238 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yah~ I'll probably go w/ a product like in the last link. The DIY carbon stuff is...WAY too complicated for a kid like me XD
What I was thinking was a central driftwood piece like the one here... http://www.tropica.com/umbraco/imag...layout_sikrevalg.jpg&width=685&constrain=true
And then around it a carpet. In the corners there could be sticks like http://www.blackwaterbaysales.com/files/1934016/uploaded/WEBSITE 046.jpg
but of course, taller. They could lean against the sides.
And then a tall sparse background plant such as.. http://www.tropica.com/plants/plantdescription.aspx?pid=055

·
Registered
238 Posts
Lol. I'm a kid also (I'm sixteen). Don't forget about midground plants between the Vallisneria and carpeting plant. Some java fern or anubias would be perfect. Try a black background. It'll hide your equipment and make your plants stand out more

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yah~~ I already know I'm going w/ a black background.
I have a java fern and I hate it.
I just reaaalllly do not enjoy plants that show a difference.... in 4 years. I bought this *damn java fern 2 months ago and it looks the same. Yay! >_>

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
I have a java fern and I hate it. I just reaaalllly do not enjoy plants that show a difference.... in 4 years.
Hmm! My ferns change within a few months. Had java fern with damaged leaves and they have new green leaves. I think they like phosphate and I have an abundance of phosphates. I know without testing for ph of tap is 8.4 and minerals not readable. What are the parameters of your water?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hmm! My ferns change within a few months. Had java fern with damaged leaves and they have new green leaves. I think they like phosphate and I have an abundance of phosphates. I know without testing for ph of tap is 8.4 and minerals not readable. What are the parameters of your water?
I have no idea! I haven't measured any thing. I'm not buying a test kit until i need it.

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
I have no idea! I haven't measured any thing. I'm not buying a test kit until i need it.
Quite understandable. You can always get your water tested at a pet store. So you already have the tank cycled?

I wonder if dosing with K2SO4 (potassium sulfate) would help the ferns to grow?

How do I do the substrate? What plant should I use for the back corner left? http://123fish.net/gc/alssimages/aquascape/drift_roots.jpg
Is this your tank for it is posted on same date you said you are getting 20G L.

As for plant on left I am thing wisteria would be a nice addition. For a carpet plant Lilaeopsis mauritiana would work. Don't think the 4 leaf clover will work in your tank.

For substrate quickest cheapest is to use top soil covered with sand or 3ml gravel. Then put API root tabs in the dirt. My plants grew the best when I had organic charcoal in the dirt, which I got at Ace. It was a pain to break up thus now trying laterite. For top soil I used Scott's top soil. Had to sift mulch out. Read True Value carries a brand with out mulch.

What light are you using? You need to have that before deciding on plants. It is the most important and expensive item for planted tank. Thus cheaper to decide around what you can afford. My favorite is the SolarMax which can be found at Pet Blvd or EBay. Jacob is using it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Its a 30 inch long tank so..
http://www.petblvd.com/cgi-bin/pb/DBL42130.html ?
Is the light strip the same length as the tank or a little shorter ?
My tank is already cycled :3
I'm giving it away to a friend though because I dont want my betta anymore. Shes going to deal with the plant.

And yup~ I get my water tested at the pet store whenever I suspect anything or when my fish get sick.
I don't want a grassy carpet. I want a leafy one like HC or glosso, so thats why I'm going with the one I chose. They are much to hard to plant (Hc and glosso)I'm avoiding c02 as much as possible, and oh yes, I found a perfect plant for the background in the layout i want to sorta copy. http://www.tropica.com/plants/plantdescription.aspx?pid=056A

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.