The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wish Tropica would sell in the states but ................................

I use their website as a learning tool and far too often I pick out a species that they helped cultivate and name and I need to translate that into a variety I can buy or at least search for

The two I'm concerned with today are

A: Vallisneria americana "Mini Twister, SHORT

B:
Vallisneria americana var. biwaensis,
TALL

What name should I search under and what generic plant species are very similar to Tropic's.

http://www.tropica.com/en/plants/plant-articles/vallisneria.aspx

Thank you
MeCasa

·
Banned
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've seen the same but the descriptions are so vague that I'm afraid that the mini's and maxi's are both the same. The good thing about Tropica (if you're European) is that you know exactly what you're paying for.

That's why I was hoping to find a specific species to search for (especially the Mini's) even though we both know that's no guarantee we'll get what we wanted.

Thanks

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
USA market issues:

1. Folks will not pay 3-4x the cost for the same plant.
2. Folks will just buy 1 plant, then grow and sell them all over, so those who want Tropica, will avoid paying the higher $.

Tropica would need to sell roughly 700,000$ per year to have a growing facility here in the USA and sell at roughly 3-4x the competition's prices to break even.

We are not going to see Tropica in the USA.

I had some of this plant, the mini twister, but it turned out to be massive.

·
Carpe Diem
7,562 Posts
^^ E. 'Vesuvius' supports the point. It is not that hard to find, has tighter spirals, readily reproduces, and stands out more with its bright green color. At ~12" max, it is also less likely to get lost in a 150g.

Looks good with cheap, non-co2, med/low light, fast reproducing Blyxa Japonica.

v3

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.