The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last time a storm came through here, power was out for 24 hours and all I did was panic about my fish.

I was considering buying a generator for hurricane Irene. I don't know how hard it will hit the VA Beach/Norfolk area, but I figure that I can return the generator if power doesn't go out.

What do you think? If the power does go out, will the generator keep a filter going for long enough to keep my fish alive? I have a 125G tank with some pretty awesome fish in there and I've had them for years. They were expensive to purchase and now I'm really attached to them...

Also, does anyone recommend a particular one?

Thanks!

Lara

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
I'm not sure about this, but I think a larger tank will have much better chance of withstanding a power outage than a small one. If the power goes out, couldn't you just take the media (hopefully in trays) from the filter and stick them in the tank, then just wait it out?

24 hours isn't that much, although who knows if the power would even go out or for how long..

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
a generator will keep your tanks running as long as you keep them filled with gas / diesal. if you get a big enough one you can run your whole house which aint a bad idea if you have lots of storms and or power outages. the only problem is if you want your whole house to run off of it you need to hire an electrition to hook up a switch from the generator to the house.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I was thinking more of a compact generator, like this one.

It says it can run a 15 watt filter for 22 hours. If I alternate something like 3 hours on, 6 hours off, it should last quite a few days.

I'm worried not only about ammonia/nitrite issues, but also about oxygen availability. I've heard of deaths occurring after 24 hours.

I don't even know if we'll even feel the effects of the hurricane here, but i figured it was worth a thought.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
When I lived in Arkansas we had a ice storm that had our power out for 5 days. my 55 gallon had about 10 rasboras in it at the time and even with temps in the 60-65 with no XP3 filtration they all lived. Who knows how bad a hurricane will hit. People don't realize enough how unpredictable mother nature can be! Better safe than sorry tho. We had a normal sized generator and ran our two fridges, a freezer and our entertainment system. As long as you have enough gas to last you that long you will be fine.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
If it makes you feel safer, go for it.
Last year we had a small storm knock our power out for a week. This year we lost power for days on three separate occasions and lost some fish (in smaller tanks, though) due to the crazy heat.
Good luck dealing with the hurricane, though. Hope you don't have to go through power outages.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I live in Florida and people here tend to just use battery operated air stones for short outages like 24 hours or so. On the other hand, I didn't have power for over a month in 2005, and I really don't know what will happen to my tank when we have another bad year like that.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As far as the gas one goes, I don't think that will work...I live in an apartment.

And as for the battery powered air stones, I have two of them. They're tiny, and I don't think they would do anything in a 125 gallon tank!

And the duracell generator I posted a link to...It is a jump starter, but it's also an emergency power source. If you scroll down, you'll see that it powers various things.

I do want the best option, but I don't know where I'd put a gas generator... I do have a balcony, but I guess Idon't understand how it would work.

·
Registered
68 Posts
And the duracell generator I posted a link to....
That is not a generator ....... it's a battery backup. Make sure you understand the difference before you spend your money.

A generator converts mechanical power to electric power, a battery backup stores electrical power for later use.

If the battery backup will suite your needs there are much better ones than the one your looking at, they are commonly used for computer backups.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but I'd hate to see you spend your money and not get something that will work.

Tony

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
The difference is the back up power source has to be plugged into a outlet to recharge and they don't last very long so if your power is out there will be no way to charge it back up. A generator can be placed on your balcony and run an extension cord into your aparment to the tank. A generator would be a much better investment and give you a little piece of mind if the power goes out. It will last until it runs out of gas. So if your power is out more than one day you have a way to keep your tank going as opposed to the Duracell power source which I don't see lasting more than 8 hours.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Generators can make a huge difference if you do have a long power outage. We bought one during that insane hurricane season we had however many years ago that was.

Storage may be an issue, but you might see if your apartment complex would allow you to set one up outside and run extention cords inside in an emergency situation.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Our apartment building won't allow a gas generator, so it's definitely out. I wish it wasn't, but such is life. :-/

Is it worth it to buy the rechargeable one, or should I just cross my fingers and hope the hurricane isn't too bad?

·
Are these real?
15,740 Posts
I can see why a generator isn't an option in an apartment complex. Noise?

If you can pull a cable from your car to your apartment, you might want to check out inverters. In essence, it's the same as a battery backup, you only use the car battery, and invest much less into some inverter (here's a random example - http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-400-Watt-12-Volt-120-Volt-Inverter/dp/B001RNOHBC).

Or you could buy a battery (deep cycle are best) and a charger (Schumacher for ex) if you can't or don't want to rely on the car battery. Again, in essence what you link to, just a better price/performance.

You won't be able to keep your fridge and TV running, nor heat/cool your tanks. But it's a low cost option to perhaps run your filters for a day or so.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I guess I was thinking more of a compact generator, like this one.

It says it can run a 15 watt filter for 22 hours. If I alternate something like 3 hours on, 6 hours off, it should last quite a few days.

I'm worried not only about ammonia/nitrite issues, but also about oxygen availability. I've heard of deaths occurring after 24 hours.

I don't even know if we'll even feel the effects of the hurricane here, but i figured it was worth a thought.
That is a power pack, not a generator. I wouldn't bother with a "power pack" as the batteries don't last nearly as long as they say and they don't have long lives. Particularly when they sit unused.

If this is all you're going to do, I'd just get battery back up air pumps and batteries.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.