The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone one had or now someone who has swine flu... IT SUCKS!!!
it has been tearing through the states wicked fast, cause' it is already way up here in vermont and goin strong:angryfire
does anyone know, is this one of those sicknesses were if you get it once you cant get it again?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Oh yeah, I had it. It wasn't enjoyable.

But you can only get it once. Every strain of flu works that way. Your body develops antibodies to viruses after it's exposed to them, and flu viruses are no exception. The only problem is that the flu mutates all the time, and each new strain can again infect anybody. Fun stuff.

·
Super Moderator
11,986 Posts
Indeed, Dr. Acula is correct. You can only get this particular strain of influenza once. However, as the surface antigens mutate very quickly for influenzaviruses, getting the H1N1 vaccine and/or flu shots does not necessarily prevent you from getting future (mutated) strains of the flu.

However, there are some viruses that you can cause the same disease even if you have already had it once (herpesvirus and varicella come immediately to mind).

·
Banned
4,255 Posts
Dr. Acula=JD ftw

and trick is to get a swine flu vaccination. and listen to people when they say you have swine flu...

i told my friend she had swine after she told me her symptoms and she didnt listen :p

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Nice that is the exact answer i was hoping for:proud:
i got the shot friday, but i already had symptoms.
One of the physicians in my office got it and he took the shot right away. He said it helped him get better faster. He did look a lot better a couple of days later.

I got the shot.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
I probably had it. It was amazing how fast it went through the Green Bay area! Some schools had 40% of the student population sick at once! Lots of schools closed, and many youth athletic games and stuff where canceled! It was crazy!

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
I got the nasal spray. The shot takes two weeks before your body is fully immune to H1N1.
10 people in my senior class (out of 110 total) had it and were out of school, but the school didn't close because my school is dumb.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I just wanted to add that just because you have flu symptoms doesn't mean you have H1N1 it could be just the "flu". H1N1 aka Swine flu needs to be confirmed by a viral swab test taken by your physician and sent out to a lab facility for confirmation. At one point the only testing that was done for this in the state of NY was by the NYSDOH and no other lab. I don't know if that has changed.

Otherwise it's all speculation.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
My doctor said that they where pretty sure the flu that was going around was H1N1, because of the symptoms, and the seasonal flu had'nt up started yet. Being sick really stinks!

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Being sick stinks.
Dying from ignoring the symptoms, thinking it's just a flu virus, is ...

Remember, 20,000 to 50,000 people die in the US every year from ordinary seasonal flu. This year we are apparently going to have two waves of flu. While you should stay home, drink plenty of fluids, and REST, if you have worse symptoms call your physician and ask advice.

Now that the government has said we've probably passed the peak for H1N1, I personally expect a new peak after the upcoming holiday. Cynical? Me?
How could anyone think that? ;-)

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got the nasal spray. The shot takes two weeks before your body is fully immune to H1N1.
10 people in my senior class (out of 110 total) had it and were out of school, but the school didn't close because my school is dumb.
Man we had 20% of our school population out of school with either swine flu deffinately or flu like symptoms, and yet didnt close down.

I just wanted to add that just because you have flu symptoms doesn't mean you have H1N1 it could be just the "flu". H1N1 aka Swine flu needs to be confirmed by a viral swab test taken by your physician and sent out to a lab facility for confirmation. At one point the only testing that was done for this in the state of NY was by the NYSDOH and no other lab. I don't know if that has changed.

Otherwise it's all speculation.
i totaly agree with what you are saying and i have not been confirmed, but my sister had it and like a dozen or so kids in her grade were confirmed with it. all i know is i am pretty sick:hihi: i guess all you can do is sit it out.

·
Registered
419 Posts
It's been making its runs around here as well. My niece had it, and now I'm pretty sure my girlfriend has it. She started showing symptoms this morning and is running a fever, so I've been washing my hands like crazy. It's probably too late for me, though.

Oh well. :(

·
Registered
3,614 Posts

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I've taken care of over a dozen patients with H1N1 (confirmed). Honestly I can't tell much of a difference between the two. Just seems the H1N1 hits them a bit harder than the seasonal flu, but this does vary from person to person.

We throw them in isolation if they have "flu symptoms" and then take them out of iso if they just have the seasonal. Pain in the butt since I have to use a special mask, gown up, blah blah blah just to go get vital signs or get them water. *sigh*

·
Many plants...little time
1,634 Posts
I don't want this to sound rude but I work in a homeopathic/ holistic field and IMO its overblown...
I have been following this closely because I have people who come to me and ask my opinion. I'm sorry but I just don't trust all the hype. I don't trust anything that comes from the government or the AMA or the Dept of Health (so much so that when I see a product that has not been tested or approved by the FDA, thats the one I buy). I also don't trust pharmaceutical companies.
This vaccination has not been tested enough and was rushed to market. The list of chemicals in vaccinations is shocking.
I have seen and read about more people sick because of the immunizations...autistic kids, patients who get the flu shot and then the flu.
I would never get a vaccination ever, under any circumstances.
I feel that if I am healthy, my body will do what it needs to do. Medicine has been and always will be the last resort for me.
Since I started taking care of myself and getting my spine checked on a regular basis I never get very sick, and when I do its very short and I bounce back quick.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well if it was me deciding i would not have gotten the shot, exactly for the same reason you said, i feal that i am healthy enough for my body to fight it off.
...and im sure the same thing goes for a lot of people they are made to get it by their parents.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts