1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
For a 65Gallon planted, would the below filter be sufficient, or do I need to purchase a different one.
With the possible exception of Walsted-style tanks, planted tanks need higher filtration and circulation.

Circulation is especially critical since nutrients need to be flowing over plant leaves.

A good rule of thumb is 10 gallons per hour for every gallon of tank water, so you need 650. The AC70 does about 300. It just doesn't move enough water.

That doesn't mean it's useless though. You could add another AC70, or some other filter. That way you also have more thorough flow distribution. And some redundancy if one filter fails, or you have to replace/clean the filter media in one. I have an AC70 and a Magnum 350 canister on my 46G and am happy with the setup.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, my 2nd Question:

I am not currently introducing CO2 into the tank, and as of right now (about 2 weeks into it) the plants seem healthy.

I see many suggest "Dosing", and use of products such as Root tabs and/or Excel. Can someone explain? Is "Dosing" defined as the use of said products? And are Root tabs used in conjunction with Excel? (What is Excel?)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, my 2nd Question:

I am not currently introducing CO2 into the tank, and as of right now (about 2 weeks into it) the plants seem healthy.

I see many suggest "Dosing", and use of products such as Root tabs and/or Excel. Can someone explain? Is "Dosing" defined as the use of said products? And are Root tabs used in conjunction with Excel? (What is Excel?)

Anyone?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.