The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on using the EI method of dosing, and I'm leaning towards using a peristaltic pump on a timer for automation.

My question is: How many peristaltic pumps do I need?

I'm not sure if the macro nutrients can be mixed together, or if the trace elements can be mixed in too.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Short answer: two. I believe most use one for Macros and another for trace. On the premise one doesn't want to mix trace irons with PO4.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Somebody on the forum was saying the APT unit has better quality components than the AM. But at this point, its flat out hearsay. I could say who was saying it, but I'm not going there.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
623 Posts
I would read up more on this to. Actually I am interested in setting up an automated dosing feature aswell. I am going to read up more on timers and peristaltic pumps.

·
Are these real?
15,740 Posts
To be able to evaluate peristaltic pumps a bit better, I purchased two of the APT units. They are both supplying concentrated micros to my tanks, one running 1min/day, the other 10min/day.

Can't say anything long term yet, just had them for a couple of weeks. I wish APT would include a bit of spare hose with them.

I noticed that there is a small amount of back siphoning (almost unnoticeable), therefore it might be advantageous to place the fertilizer bottle at about water level.

The APT pumps have 4 rollers, while the AM pumps only have 2 rollers. IIRC someone reported a bigger back-siphoning problem with the AM pumps, which prompted me to go with APT over AM in the first place.

The other thing is that you can customize your APT pumps, they have 3 different speeds and different (diameter and kind) tubing.

·
Are these real?
15,740 Posts
http://www.aptinstruments.com/Merch...e=AI&Product_Code=SP100FO&Category_Code=SP100

They're $62 each plus a plug, wiring, and a timer that can be set by minutes. I'm not sure how much shipping would cost, but I'd imagine after buying 2 of each component, the total cost wouldn't be much less than the $200 price tag (shipping included) of the aquamedic unit.
Shipping was very reasonable, I paid (I think) $132 for two pumps, incl. the Norprene hose upgrade.

Took them forever to send them pumps though, like a month. :icon_roll

·
Registered
370 Posts
how about somebody posting some pics and a detailed explanation on how to set up an automatic dosing rig.
I was looking at the one posted by SuRje1976 "journal of a mad scientist" in the photo album and I can't even comprehend what I'm looking at.

·
Are these real?
15,740 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Thanks. Some of it was a bit above my head for now but I will keep it in mind for the future.
Do you use only RO water in your tanks? If so is that because you add trace daily so that makes up for the lack of elements and minerals in the water?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.