The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I started my 90 gallon almost a year ago, and had nothing but problems with it, everything from velvet, to fish TB, to algae.

Now that I finally got my issues under control, my plants have taken a huge hit. Many of them are growing roots out the side and look ugly.

I'm moving in 4-5 months and I thought it would be a good time to rescape the tank then. So I have plenty of time to re plan this tank. The only issue right now I'm struggling with is what plants to get. I do have injected co2 and I do have ferts. However, I'm sick of seeing this dark mass of roots half way up my tank coming out of my ludwigia, and my water sprite.

I'm going to get rid of the water sprite all together, I hate how it grows. I'm not a huge fan of swords. Any ideas would be great, something easily available in canada that is. :p

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Do you mean aerial roots? You can trim them. A lot of Rotala species are pretty easy, and it's a nice fast growing stem to replace the water sprite. R. rotundifolia is usually quite easily available. Other good tall stems are like Hygrophila corymbosa. There are many more, but having a bit of a brain block. With CO2 and fertilisers you should be able to grow most things though. Feel you on not liking swords by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am not from Canada but here are some you may like:

You'll most likely hate Cryptocoryne Wendtii as they grow vertical roots. (1) You might be interested in Hygrophila Corymbosa - they're so easy to grow, very undemanding and they don't tend to grow roots all over their stems. Only issue you might have with it is maintenance - you need to cut it more often than other aquatic plants. (2) Rotalas are nice as well. (3) I am not sure if you like this but what about Java Ferns - I just love this plant. (4) You said you're not a fan of Swords so I don't think you will like this but you might want to consider Cryptocoryne Aponogetifolia and its cousins. They're great background plants and they're actually easy to maintain. Do expect melting the first time you introduce them to your tank. And like most, if not all, Cryptocoryne - they're deep rooters. It will be messy if you move or remove them.

·
Carpe Diem
7,562 Posts
Every stem plant I can think of grows side roots, once established. To me it's a good sign. That said, I snip them off right at the stem and I don't see any negative effects to the plant.

All good plant recommendations above and I especially second Hygrophilia. Also check out Limnophila species. Red tiger lotus and various lotus plants make for great accents. Blyxa japonica and Valisneria are other good fill-ins.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.