The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a rudimentary question about algae as I'm new to dealing with it and am having an increasing problem with it. If I can define my cause and correct it, will the algae die off on it's own? Or will it continue to propogate as long as there's a sizeable colony in the tank? Thanks

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hello,

This is all algae-dependent.

Certain algae can die off simply by adjusting your CO2, or your lighting period, or even the amount of nutrients you dose.

Certain algae can die off by using chemical treatments such as Flourish Excel (for BBA, GSA..) or AlgaExit (for Thread and Hair Algae).

Algae will continue to take over if you don't attempt to rectify it and get it under control. It's all down to yourself to identify the algae you are having trouble with - do some research on here.
Ask and help will be at hand - that's what we are here for! :)

Best of luck,
Dan

·
Registered
366 Posts
Algexit

Hello,

This is all algae-dependent.

Certain algae can die off simply by adjusting your CO2, or your lighting period, or even the amount of nutrients you dose.

Certain algae can die off by using chemical treatments such as Flourish Excel (for BBA, GSA..) or AlgaExit (for Thread and Hair Algae).

Algae will continue to take over if you don't attempt to rectify it and get it under control. It's all down to yourself to identify the algae you are having trouble with - do some research on here.
Ask and help will be at hand - that's what we are here for! :)

Best of luck,
Dan
Can Algexit be used(safely) with a shrimp tank with red cherry shrimps?

·
Registered
140 Posts
According to the label - yes :)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Just ordered algexit. Gonna see how it works. I know some say get your tank right and you won't need anything. Well they must not have hair/thread algae. Gotta get it right but can't afford to lose all my plants trying to get the right mix.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have had the same problem on a 24" high tank. The hair algae was starting to grow on glass and driftwood near the top half of the tank. Increasing illumination intensity and reducing the photoperiod helps to return the balance to healthy plants and minimal to non-existent algae. I have had BBA, BGA, GSA and GHA all over past few months before its was under control...

Under high light and short photoperiod plants have a competitive advantage over algae. Once this is fixed the algae will disappear by itself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.