Specs:

120gal 4x2x2 tank
Eheim 2028 canister
Pressurized CO2
Two sets of 2x54wt T5 HO lifeglo2 bulbs
1st set of lights are on for 10.5 hrs
2nd set comes on then off while 1st set is one, for 8hr period

Here is what my tank looked like earlier today:

Then, I cleaned the glass pretty good, then did a 75% WC about a hour later (hoping the filter would catch some of the algae). Then washed out my filter, put the tank back together.

Then it looked like this:

I just realized that the photoperiod was that long today. I've since adjusted it to 8.5 hrs and 6.5 hrs for the 1st and 2nd sets.
Typically, I test and dose ferts 2x week... typically.
Recently, I've been lacking, so I think that's an issue as well.

I usually keep dose:

KNO3 to get nitrate to 25-30
KH2PO4 to get phos to 2
CSM+B 1/2tsp 2x/wk
K2SO4 1.5 tsp 2x/wk

Any reason to break out my UV sterilizer and run it for a couple days?
What is the likelihood that the GDA is going to return?
In the 2nd pic, are those diatoms? (unlikely...?? since the tank has been up and running over a year)
See less See more
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Any reason to break out my UV sterilizer and run it for a couple days?
What is the likelihood that the GDA is going to return?
In the 2nd pic, are those diatoms? (unlikely...?? since the tank has been up and running over a year)
Probably don't need the UV sterilizer.
Good chance it will come back if it is GDA.
Not sure if those are diatoms.

From what I have read about GDA there doesn't seem to be a definitive known cause or foolproof way to get rid of it. When you clean it off the glass enough stays in the water column that even after a large water change it just attaches itself back to the glass. Some people have gotten rid of it by adjusting dosing for others that doesn't seem to work. I was getting a light dusting of it recently and upped my phosphate dose slightly and it went away. I have no idea if the phosphates were the solution. What is supposed to work is to let it grow for a couple of weeks until it has completely matured then scrape it all off. If you do that it is not supposed to come back, you have to let it run its course first though and 3 weeks of looking at a wall of green sludge can't be pleasant. At least it doesn't grow on the plants. Good luck!
The best solution I've found is getting a crew of oto's, my tanks look algae free now and that's all I care about. Are you using a drop checker with 4KH solution to be sure you have enough co2?
Yeah, I have a drop checker. It reads yellow in color part way through the day. I think I have plenty.

I can't imagine how many oto's I'd need for my tank...

I have somewhere between 5-15 otos already, 1 bristlenose, 1 rubberlip pleco.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.