The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys. So I had this tank (17 gallons) running since October and has been running pretty well. In december I bought a pressurized co2 canister for my tank. I noticed throughout the months after, I've noticed deficiencies (mostly nitrogen and potassium) and recently bought myself Plantex CSM + B, potassium nitrate, and monopotassium phosphate, and ferrous gluconate. Solutions are:
all in 16 oz bottles
KNO3 (74.45 g in 16 oz) according to http://calc.petalphile.com/
5ml dose was 4.73 ppm/degree of K
1.69 ppm/degree of N
7.5 ppm/degree of NO3
I dose 10 ml every other day

KH2PO4 (11.34 g in 16 oz)
5ml dose was .53 ppm/degree of K
.42 ppm/degree of P
1.3 ppm/degree of PO4
I dosed about 5-6 ml every other day with KNO3

Ferrous gluconate was 24.43 g in 16 oz
with 5 ml dose was .5 ppm/degree
I dosed 10-12 ml every other day

Plantex CSM+B i forgot, I just followed the solution instruction for plantex csm+b off aquatic plant central and dose with the ferrous gluconate every other day at 4 ml

I did that for a bit (about a week or two) and I noticed that algae was growing randomly throughout faster, but not much at all. In response I raised the CO2 (no current drop checker, had a plastic one reading yellow, but I didnt have the right solution in it so I didnt read it as accurate at all and I am in the process of making a 4 dkh solution, just need to borrow a scale. It was at about 2 bps) (using a Do!aqua diffuser, cleaned weekly ish with h2o2)

I did 50% water changes weekly

Then, very recently, last week, I went from my 3 fluval nano leds (8 watts each) to two GE 6500k t5 HO bulbs at 24 watts each using a hagen glo fixture. I also changed the filter from an aquaclear 50 to an ehiem classic 250 to finally be able to use my violet pipes. However, about a day or two after, I get this huge bloom of thread algae and GDA. I raised the co2 again to about 2.5-3 bps, to the point where I had to lower it a bit since the fish came to the top.

I did many changes recently, and I do not know which one to approach first. and I am thinking whether or not to do that 2 punch on algae (the h2o2 and excell) or to wait it out (but it looks horrendous and is growing on plant leaves). Just all a bit stressfull and over whelming as I never experienced this much before. All the help helps me a lot. Thanks and regards:
Jonathan

PS: Pic is of a day or two before the start of algae, the night of putting on the new lights and filter. I will get pic of now when I can

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am not an expert on this but it might be lighting for the thread algae. Two t5HO at 24 watt seems a lot to me for 17 gals just because T5HO has high PAR. I have some thread algae too in my tank and they are all in the areas where there is very high intensity of light (directly under my desk lamp fixture). I was starting to get major thread algae on my 10 gal when I had two 23 watt cfls vertical. Now I switched to two 13 watts and the green algae seems to have stopped except in high lighting areas.

Very nice looking tank btw. May be you should get some HC for the front? Would look awesome I think! :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip, ill see if lowering the amount of time the lights are on will help. Thanks :)

Heres a pic of the mess btw

Attachments

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Raise the lights up another few inches or so. The par at substrate is probably really high for a 17g. I don't dose ei. But I do dose PPS pro. Its easier to mix the ferts instead of dumping dry ferts in the tank. At least imo. Less math to do as well.

Beautiful tank btw. I'm getting a 25g Mr aqua tomorrow. Hoping to set it up nice.

One two punch works wonders. But you need to remove what you can manualy. Raise the lights. And adjust the fert regimen.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Wow. I would consider covering the tank with a blanket for 4 days or so. That just looks pretty bad.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Earlier in the year Mr. Barr had a write up on GDA and how to cure it. He suggested BN plecos. I had a constant bloom of it in one of my tanks and while I don't mind it on the back of the glass, it was awful looking on the sides and front. I took his suggestion and added a few BN plecos and haven't seen any GDA in two months. I did not change one thing on the that tank except add the plecos. Some will say your tank isn't big enough...to each their own. I would throw one in and see what happens to your GDA.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
You will see some results if you bring up the light to 20" above the substrate.
You may be able to lower it back to a bit lower after the plants get growing better.
But unless you keep it at least 16" you will always have this problem.
Above the substrate that is and with this fixture/bulbs.
If you do cover it, I used a black pastic garbage bag at 5 days. The plants will take
about two to three weeks after that to really get started growing but like I said
you will keep it out only if you raise that light 20" at first and lower it a bit after
the plants are growing well.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks guys for the tips and info :) So I did the one two punch and trimmed off the plants hit hard with the algae. I have also set my timer to have the lights on from 3pm-10pm instead of 12pm-11pm for less light, and have also raised up the lights from 1 inch above the tank to a little over 7 inches above the tank, making it instead of 13 inches above the gravel to 19 inches above the gravel. after the one two punch it pretty much got everything off the next day, will be updating how it goes. Thanks :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Looks great! I am going to be doing the one-two punch on my 75 gallon soon, I am thinking of removing my fish from the aquarium while I do it tho, going to be setting up a 30 gallon as a temporary home for them. I have read that a lot of people have had zero problems with this and their fish, I just bought some of my fish online and the shipping is stupidly expensive and would rather scoop them out first. Keep us updated on how your algae is going.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I did the one two punch on a 1.6 gallon with three endlers. Not one dead. Ita perfectly safe I'd you keep the flow on and time it correctly. Even had two amanos and a nerite in there

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hey wassup subtletanks91! I was that one guy that came in and asked for some flourish excel the other day cause of the thread and gda i was dealing with

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Baby BN will take care of the glass for like, years.
Takes a long time to grow.

Better them, than you.

Even the worse cases.

also, RC has had a lot of tap water variation in KH due to the droughts and rains.

Check you KH often and your CO2.
Add some plecos to clean your glass well, run lights for 8 hours.
Excel does nothing to GDA.

After you trim, move any plants etc, always do a water changes, 2x a week if you have any issues.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Will do then. And yeah, I would rather for them to eat it off than to be always scraping it off. Thanks for the tips
btw, are you from the bay area? you seem to be pretty familiar with it. Or do you just happen to know about our tap water aha.
After reading all your writings and your forum, I sort of feel like im talking to a celebrity here

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Living in the bay area ita usually best to use ro water. I've been to the water treatment facilities when I was younger. Not the prettiest of sights. Aside from that water quality varies greatly year to year

1 - 15 of 15 Posts