The Planted Tank Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
It's ChicagoLand, it could also be 50 degrees that day. Let's wait until we see Tom Skilling's forecast on Wed before the Swap.

If we post up an alternate this early, guarantee someone is going to get confused.....like RazorWorm.

:hihi:
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ha!

seriously, both of my kids were born in Feb, 1st and 15th. I distinctly remember bringing them home from Lake Forest Hospital in a tee shirt ( me not them ). It was in the high 60's.

On a related note, speaking of Skilling, where has he been?

·
Registered
679 Posts
I thought the whole reason for charging an entry fee was to rent facilities? Outside in Feb is RARELY 50 degrees in chicagoland. You are looking at anywhere between 0 and high 30s. Not ideal for fish.

Can I offer a suggestion to the organizers? Many Elmhurst schools rent their facilities for pretty reasonable prices by the hour. The entry fee for the meet should be able to cover a few hours rental i would think. Check it out:

http://www.elmhurst205.org/facilities

EDIT:

Sorry I didn't read through all the print about requirements for Elmhurst facilities. Might require insurance certificate. There are plenty of other places. Googling found the below:

George A. Leoni Complex
800 N. 17the Ave., Melrose Park
George A. Leoni Complex Rental Rates
Weekends (Friday After 3 p.m., Saturday, Sunday) CAPACITY

IN DISTRICT
OUT OF DISTRICT
FULL HALL 100 $85 per hour $105 per hour
ACTIVITY ROOM 30 $30 per hour $40 per hour

http://www.veteransparkdistrict.org/rentals.html
….and I'm confused...:biggrin:

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I thought the whole reason for charging an entry fee was to rent facilities? Outside in Feb is RARELY 50 degrees in chicagoland. You are looking at anywhere between 0 and high 30s. Not ideal for fish.

Can I offer a suggestion to the organizers?
Dan (ShinyCard225) is the C.E.O. (Chief Event Organizer) of this little gathering.

We started this little Meet & Greet 3 years ago to put faces with names. If you actually READ the the threads you see we meet in the parking lot BEFORE the G.C.C.A Swap meet to talk about our planted tank hobby. Some of buy, sell, trade our plants between ourselves before we go INSIDE the hotel were the G.C.C.A Swap meet is held.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi folks. I'm new here. Are newbies welcome to the swap meet? Someone mentioned an entry fee. If so, what is it? Anything I should bring if I plan on purchasing ? Thanks.
There's a difference between the parking lot swap/meet-up and the GCCA swap itself. There's a $5 entry fee for the GCCA swap and I recommend bringing cash.

The parking lot swap that this thread discusses is for forum members. The November swap was my first time at the parking lot meet and everyone is really friendly. Read the listings here for what folks are selling/trading/giving away.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
The current weather forecast is putting us at between 25-30* with a 40% chance of snow. Everyone think we should just meet inside in the hallway where the ticket line forms?
I'll probably wait until Wed/Thurs and make a decision. I'll make sure it's easy to spot in this thread

·
Registered
180 Posts
30 degrees will seem like a heat wave. Most people will be in light jackets & sweaters.

Man-up and meet in the parking lot.
:D
I was a bit more worried about the shrimp/fish that we'll be swapping. I don't think they'll enjoy being out in this for very long since they can't enjoy the luxury of your light jackets and sweaters. Hahaha

21 - 40 of 54 Posts