The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at stocking my ADA 60p tank here once the cycle is completed. Tank is using Aquasoil, and current parameters are:
ph: 6.2 - 6.4 degassed, <6 with CO2 on
KH: <1
GH: 6
I have fallen in love with German Blue Rams, and have an order placed at the local fish shop here. According to Aqadvisor, GBRs could potentially outgrow my tank, however searching around the internets, a 60p should be ok, and my tank parameters should be Ok.
I'm thinking of getting some salt & pepper corys, and torn on what else to get. I really like the look of Celestial Pearl Danios, and I think their red/orange color would be a good contrast to the GBRs. However their temp requirements are not compatible. Anyone have any experience keeping them together? Should I give it a go and see what happens, or abandon the idea and look for other tank mates for the GBRs?

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've kept them together without problem.

In fact, they do fine in my tank during the summer, which gets around 85 F.
I feel bad for 'em, but there's no way around it, and they seem none the worse for wear.

Sure they might prefer colder, and you would want colder to breed, but warmer also works.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I wouldn't have GBRs in something that small personally.

I've seen people keep them with CPDs but like you said, the temps definitely aren't compatible. I wouldn't do it, why make an animal suffer or live in less than ideal

·
Registered
66 Posts
I wouldn't keep rams in a tank that small either. They're not always peaceful to each other and a 60p just doesn't have enough space for them to get away from each other. There have been a lot of threads on this forum from people who bought/have 'bonded' rams that are pretty aggressive towards each other. What appeals to you about the rams? Maybe there's another fish with similar characteristics that would work - or maybe you could get a bigger tank. Good luck!

·
Carpe Diem
7,562 Posts
One mated pair of GBRs will be fine in that tank. I personally would not house them with CPDs.

I am currently going through a similar thought process: I have 2 mated pairs in a 36g corner with pygmy cories and rummynoses. The tank is right next to my PC and I get to watch it a lot.

Seemed like a perfect combination to me but the aggression between the pairs, while with no damage and, at times, rather amusing is getting to be too much for me. I also hope to see the parental care and that seems to be impossible with cories cleaning out the eggs at night.

My current plan is to move one pair into their own 25g cube with some not too active dither fish (cardinals?).

My point being: do some soul searching and decide what you want out of the tank.

I always tried to 'stuff' as much fish into a tank as was semi-reasonable. Now I am looking for more 'natural' behavior and habitat (and, of course, more plants :)).

v3

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
One mated pair of GBRs will be fine in that tank. I personally would not house them with CPDs.

I am currently going through a similar thought process: I have 2 mated pairs in a 36g corner with pygmy cories and rummynoses. The tank is right next to my PC and I get to watch it a lot.

Seemed like a perfect combination to me but the aggression between the pairs, while with no damage and, at times, rather amusing is getting to be too much for me. I also hope to see the parental care and that seems to be impossible with cories cleaning out the eggs at night.

My current plan is to move one pair into their own 25g cube with some not too active dither fish (cardinals?).

My point being: do some soul searching and decide what you want out of the tank.

I always tried to 'stuff' as much fish into a tank as was semi-reasonable. Now I am looking for more 'natural' behavior and habitat (and, of course, more plants :)).

v3
Well, I was fairly set on a pair of GBRs, and the rest of the tank would sort itself out. I was hoping to keep some CRS in this tank, however I've read/seen youtube vids of GBRs using them as food. So, that lead me to pygmy corys for bottom cleaning. I've read that the corys will eat the eggs at night, but that isn't a deal breaker for me personally.

If consensus is GBR's won't work, I may go with Apisotogrammas or Dwarf Gouramis?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.