The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My GBR laid eggs and I watched them hatch on Friday and Saturday. As soon as they hatched, they fell downward and drifted into plants where only guppy fry can get through.

I haven't seen them since they hatched and I'm wondering if there's a possibility that they're still there. How many days does it take them to start swimming around? Do the parents stay with them the entire time? The two adults are now away from the nesting area.

917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I watched the eggs and nothing picked at them. I watched the fry hatch and none were being eaten by fish. They could have been eaten after, but just wondering how soon I'd be able to see one or two swimming around.

The only "threatening" fish in the tank are the dwarf puffers and they don't even go near newly born guppy fry. Just snails and whatever I feed them. The neons don't go after any fish ever, and the guppies are an extremely friendly strain that don't pay much attention to other fish.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Ya, but eggs are eggs.
Instinctual for fish to eat, if they spot them.
Heck, some species wipe out their own.

Maybe someone will chime in with your other question?
Many eggs hatch after 2 days, but I don't know with GBR.
Good Luck!

-Stef*

917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya, but eggs are eggs.
Instinctual for fish to eat, if they spot them.
Heck, some species wipe out their own.

Maybe someone will chime in with your other question?
Many eggs hatch after 2 days, but I don't know with GBR.
Good Luck!

-Stef*
Yeah, I know, but what I'm saying is that I have videos of the eggs hatching and during that time I saw multiple fry fall down into the plants nearby. The eggs were not eaten.

I'm just curious when the soonest I would seen swimming fry would be. I see some unusual-looking guppy fry that seem more rounded on the top and possibly a bit more yellow in color, but one of the two females just dropped fry I believe. I can't really keep track anymore, so they may be guppies. IDK.

Anyone have pictures of 3-day-old fry? Or 4-day-old fry?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
If you have any nocturnal fish, the fry are more then likely gone. The rams will sleep at night, and their young eaten. Unless its just the mom and dad in the tank, its unlikely any will live.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Man my GBRs always ate the eggs by the second day. Mom and dad would take turns protecting them, then just get hungry and go to town....
Good luck, hope you find some fry!

917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How many days does it take them to start swimming around?
They could have been eaten after, but just wondering how soon I'd be able to see one or two swimming around.
I'm just curious when the soonest I would seen swimming fry would be.
How long might it be until I see them swimming around, assuming they are alive and will survive?
I can't find any pictures on Google... How old do they have to be until I see them possibly swimming around in the plants, assuming they're alive?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
http://www.cichlidae.com/article.php?id=368

That's the same link I put on your other thread. The author states they had free-swimming fry on the 5th day. In my experience, the eggs hatch between 2-3 days and are wigglers (stuck to the surface the eggs were laid on) for a couple days, then they become free-swimming fry.

You can check out this other breeding journal if you want to read through it:
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...97-German-Blue-Ram-Breeding-quot-Journal-quot
Thank you! So about 5-6 days... These guys seemed pretty slow/behind-schedule for hatching, so it'll probably be 6 days since they hatched I guess. So I may see them starting Wednesday or Thursday I guess, if they exist.

917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I might be seeing some fry, can't tell though. It's those same fry I thought were guppy fry, but there are more of them now. They also don't seem too much like guppy fry because they're a bit darker and they have curved backs unlike guppy fry. Also, their pectoral fins and anal fins are much larger than newly-born guppy fry.

I also have some guppy fry that are older in another tank without those features, but it's a different strain... I hope they're GBR fry. It'd be so friggin cool.

The thing is, I can only find pictures of GBR fry up to a few days old, then around 2 weeks old. Mysteriousness in between.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.