The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought two GBRs from Petsmart on Monday evening and they laid eggs on Tuesday morning. They're still guarding them and haven't eaten them.

How do I know if the eggs are developing or not? Will they eat them if they go bad? How long does it take until they "hatch" or start swimming around? I guess they'll immediately start swimming since they're on a vertical surface...

When they hatch, is it possible to catch the fry and put them in a net to grow them out, or are they really delicate?

Do the eggs look fertilized to you? That was a picture from 18 hours ago, they still look the same and they've been there for maybe 28 hours...

917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
20% are white, 80% are transparent and look to be developing. The female is picking the white ones away carefully right now.

When will they turn into fish likely? And do they just kinda develop into fish, or do they legit break out of an egg and start swimming like a baby bird would?

917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I noticed there were little things floating around that area this morning but didn't think too much of it. I looked closer a few minutes ago and there were tons of little fry hatching! They're so tiny. They're swimming into the plants nearby. At this point, I don't think the larger fish could even detect them. Once they're big enough to swim on their own, I think they'll be able to dodge larger fish through the plants. They may have a shot at surviving. I shot a video of the entire tank so you guys could see, editing it now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts