The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've finally gotten some plants and driftwood set up in my 37g column tank. Its only been running for a week so to help with the cycling process I purchased 6 Zebra Danios. Originally I intended to stock the tank with 4-6 Marbled Hatchets, 12-14 Espei Rasboras, and a pair of GBRs. Note that I am fully aware that I will need to wait several weeks, perhaps a few months, before I can add the Rams.

My first question is: according to AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor GBRs are too aggressive to keep with Espeis. I was hoping that since I plan to keep a school it would balance out. Would the rams really be too aggressive for the espei or would they be okay together? If this is true I suppose I could try Harlequins instead but I really prefer the Espeis.

Second question: I only purchased the Danios to help with cycling but I'm growing rather fond of them and wondered if I could keep them either with my original stock plan or use them in place of the Hatchets. The tank is already being kept at a steady 81 degrees and they seem to be doing fine despite this being warmer than they prefer. They school and play in the current and air bubbles and generally seem happy. Would they bother the Rams since they tend to swim all over the tank?

Final question: Would it be possible to keep a trio of GBRs? I would like to get 1 male and 2 females but only if they would live together peacefully.

Sorry for the long post!

·
Registered
73 Posts
All those questions are pretty subjective. I have had Rams that are super nice to small fish, and ones that go after everything. You just have see what works and adjust from there.

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
I would not try 1 M and 2 F as one of the females will most likely end up killed. For your tank, I would pay a little bit more and get a M/F pair that already "like" each other.

As for the rest of your selection, the more plants and other hiding places you have the higher is your chance of relative peace and survival.

Unless your tank is fully covered, sooner or later, the Hatches will end up on the floor,

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unless your tank is fully covered, sooner or later, the Hatches will end up on the floor,
I do have a glass canopy that covers the entire top of the tank save for maybe 2'' in the back where the equipment comes out. I started out with an open top but too much water was evaporating so I opted for the lid and got an air stone to help with circulation and oxygen. The Danios love riding the bubbles lol

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Research the fish less cycle, found in quite a few of my posts.

Rams are pair bonding. Very very rarely will 1m + 2f work. Not worth trying.

Seal those last 2" of space so the hatchets won't jump. I lost mine through similar very narrow openings.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been browsing the web all day and now I can't decide if I want a school of T. Espei or a school of Neon Tetra. Anyone have experience keeping either/both of these species with German Blue Rams? Is one better than the other?

Decided to just go with a pair of GBR. I'm not trying to breed them but I also don't want one getting bullied.

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
Neon tetras like cooler water while rams like warmer. Instead, also check out green neon and ember tetra.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts