The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I recently added four Corydora Julii to my planted aquarium. Ever since I added them my GBR has become very aggressive towards the Corys. Will this aggression subside over time? I have a 29 gallon tank that has a fair amount of plants. Will this be a longer term issue. So far the tank includes 4 Corydora Julli, 4 mature Albino Corydoras, 1 GBR, 1 dwarf gourami, and 8 guppies.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
I know very little about fish habits. But this I read on here...
Rams are territorial. Cory's don't respect that. Might work in a much longer tank.
But the 29g just doesn't have the floor space for that.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Have seen the cory's invade nesting sites of ram's as well as other cichlid's and lose one or both eye's for their effort(pleco's too), but this was observed with fishes guarding nest's/fry.
With no chance of spawning with only the one ram,perhaps the ram will mellow after a few day's or not.
Don't know what temp's you are running for the ram's, but cory's by and large are more comfortable at cooler temp's than the ram's,gourami,guppie's enjoy thrive in.
the cory's do not seem to live as long in temp's much above 78 degree's F(just burn out) and much prefer 75 degree's F with exception of Sterbai and possibly peppered cory's who are more tolerable of heat.
Could be difference between Cory's that live but a few week's,month's,or those that live 5 + year's.IME

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hello all, I recently added four Corydora Julii to my planted aquarium. Ever since I added them my GBR has become very aggressive towards the Corys. Will this aggression subside over time? I have a 29 gallon tank that has a fair amount of plants. Will this be a longer term issue. So far the tank includes 4 Corydora Julli, 4 mature Albino Corydoras, 1 GBR, 1 dwarf gourami, and 8 guppies.

Thanks for the help!
Doesn't suprise me. I realize you are adding to an established community so this advice does not necessarily apply...but always add the least agressive fish (cories) first and more agressive tank mates after the least agressive fish have settled in. The ram has an established territory and is obv threatened by the introduction of the cories.

I doubt it will subside as cories are oblivious lol and just wander the tank in search of food. I fear they will continue to get beat up by your ram.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I have had Corydoras in a tank, then added a German Blue Ram male, no problems, then after that I added more Corydoras and other fish, no problems.
My GBR doesn't cause any damage or much stress on any of the fish, but he does once in a while nudge other fish out of boredom it seems. He has never caused any damaged and he doesn't chase anyone, but sometime he will use his mouth to nudge other fish. He isn't being territorial as I've clearly seen the same fish he would nudge, also be hanging out around and inside the GBRs cave. He's in there will Ramshorn snails (the adults have been alive for many months now with the GBR, seen plenty of egg sacks, but never seen a baby), Celebes Rainbows, threadfin rainbows, Pseudomugil gertrudaes, corys, and borneo hillstream sucker loaches.
I would say the GBR would settle down and become acquainted with all the other fish. But don't hold me to that, because fish have personalities too, some happen to be more aggressive than others. Would feel bad if the GBR did suck out another fishes eyeball... If your GBR doesn't fight with your Gourami, I would think he is actually more peaceful than most, as those two commonly fight.

And just to mention, I know everyone says GBR's need warmer water, but I've kept mine at 75*F and he's full of color, no diseases, active, no increased aggression/frustration/sadness. Had an electric blue ram and golden ram before in same tank conditions, but rehomed them for tank restocking plan purposes, but they were fine throughout their lives in my possession.

Also I've kept many species of Corydoras in unheated tanks (just room temp), and so it would range from 74*F (winter) to 84*F (summer) and they are all healthy as can be, have bred even without me doing anything special to trigger spawning. Still alive and healthy, growing normal, I'd say they are doing remarkably well. I've done this for years and never had a issue and had Corys live well into the double digits.
I've always went against conventional wisdom and I've always had success, even with fish species said to be very sensitive. Can't say everyone one will have the same success as many factors lead to the well being of fish, so take MY experiences with a grain of salt, but these are my experiences.

·
Registered
91 Posts
As the others have said, Rams & Corys do not mix well. They can mix in a large enough tank but Corys do not respect territory and Rams become very territorial when breeding. Rams have been known to pick the eyes out of Corys. That's about the only vulnerable part on a cory.

With that said, depending on the personality of the Rams and the amount of tank space, corys and rams CAN mix and often do. Obviously, in your case it looks like a no-go.

I'm about to setup a tank with some two pair of rams and some Brochis. They are like a cory on steroids. I've never tried that before but I think it will work out fine. I expect the rams will hold the brochis off and everyone will get along fine. But I'll be prepared to move the brochis out if my expectations are wrong. (It's a 125g tank so two pair of rams will have lots of room.)

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Again for what's it's worth, I've had a single male ram with Corys in a 15 gallon (smaller than OP 29G) quarantine tank for months (I QT all new fish for 1 month, but have gone as long as 3 months, like this instance with the GBR and Corys in a 15 gallon) and the ram never did any damage to any of my Corydoras or other fish, no missing eyes, not even a split fin. Just my personal experience though. Maybe I have a peaceful one?
But I did have a electric blue ram before (not 100% sure of gender though) and didn't have any problems either.

One of my LFS even has a bunch of rams with Corydoras and I've never seen one Corydora with a missing eye, even if they've been together over a week (granted it is a livestock inventory tank though).

No other GBR owners on here keep them with Corydoras successfully? I thought they were both commonly kept compatible species.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
If you have a bigger tank it would work. In a small tank you run into problems with enough space for the all ground bottom swimmers. I have kept cory cats with Rams in the past with no problems but I did not have a breeding pair. If you have a breeding pair of any kind of cichlids you are not going to have peace in the tank.

I kept ONE ram with cory cats just fine the tank did have LOTS of plants and decor. The line of sight was blocked and this helps a lot. I had 2 male rams with Cory cats and they were fine with the cory cats because they were too busy picking on each other.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts