The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think about these rocks?

I have found these really nice rocks that I can source locally and I would be interested to get an idea of whether people might be interested in aquascape packages with several pieces.

The stones have really nice smoothed angular shapes and many rounded holes. Most of them that I have found do not have any broken surfaces at all. Unlike rounded river stones, the shapes of these rocks are such that many of them are easy to stand up in various arrangements, so they can add nice vertical dimension to your layout. Fish seem to like them a lot because they find nice overhangs beneath them and they also like to inspect the round holes in the stones.

They are some sort of calcareous rock (limestone, or something similar), so they will dissolve to a certain degree in aquarium water, with corresponding changes in warer hardness. However, it is my opinion that the effects of calcareous rocks on aquarium water chemistry are overblown. The rate of dissolution for large shapes like these must be many times less than for materials with very high surface area relative to volume, such as sand or gravel. I know that different kinds of calcareous rocks do have different rates of dissolution in water. I can work on identifying these rocks and research this question some more.

Anyway, I really would be interested to hear opionons on these rocks. I can probably put together nice packages at pretty good prices for economical shipping in flat rate boxes.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
the one in the foreground looks like a grumpy old man! (sorry, totally off topic but I had to comment)

They do look great against your substrate, though. A very crisp and clean look - If i didn't have rocks coming out my ears I would buy a few :) Good luck!

·
Registered
109 Posts
They are interesting enough, especially the front and center one, that I would consider them. They look like light versions of the ADA Black River Stones I have. The potted look and shape definitely gives it character.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
I see the old man in the first one too LOL
Being limestone are you seeing a KH shift adding them to your tank?

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What sizes can you get them in. If we are talking about say golf ball and larger sure. Is this the only color they come in? Would be interested in darker ones.
The best ones that I have seen are baseball to melon-sized. They are all lighter colors, although some of them are more gray and some are more tan. There are also some that have white tiger stripe veins of some harder rock.

I see the old man in the first one too LOL
Being limestone are you seeing a KH shift adding them to your tank?
I have not tried to measure this. I imagine that there is some effect, but it is probably minor. A small effect would probably be corrected well enough with water changes. I can research that and try to test it too.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
I have not tried to measure this. I imagine that there is some effect, but it is probably minor. A small effect would probably be corrected well enough with water changes. I can research that and try to test it too.
Here in Florida we have a ton of limestone base and I've seen it referred to as Texas Holy rock on the web.
Using an old 10g tank filled with RO I tested the water a week later.
Really wanted to use this piece in particular for a new tank.

Two weeks in a row the stone moved the drop tested KH from a start at 0.0 to 8 - 9dKH which was too much for my soft water tanks.
In the test tank the rock was a higher percentage of tank volume than it would be normally but I chose not to use it knowing it leached.
Used the API chem tests which are ballpark accurate.
HTH, What you have may be inert but the mention of limestone in the opening post caught my attention.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.