The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...

Do to several years of natural selection and the absence of a breeding plan, the RCS population in my 30 gallon is predominantly brownish (although lately I've introduced some new red adults I've picked up at the LFS and my newest batch of juvies are noticeably pinker).

I'm thinking though that I want to cull the predominately brown/natural colored adults from the tank and concentrate of getting my population red again... however, what to do with the culls?

I already know that my LFS won't want them (they've been actively trying to get their population as red as possible as well), so do I...

1) loose them into my lower 30 gal monster tank and wish them the best of luck. (see link in signature for details on my set of tanks)

-OR-

2) offer them up over the Swap and Sell as an RAOK? Is anyone even interested in Brownish/natural colored RCS? Anyone? Anyone at all?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn't call them 'hybrids' because I never added any other Neocaridinia variety for them to mix with... their progenitors were all Cherry Shrimp, the current generations have just slid back into a more natural coloring.

I used to have German Blue Rams in the same tank... they'd pick off the babies, so only the brown ones that could blend in ever made it to adulthood. The Rams eventually lived out their lives a few years ago, but up until now I never made the redness or quality of my Neo population a priority- they were mostly just there to keep the plants clean.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.