The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a canister filer and I redirected the flow yesterday and now it no longer disturbs the water surface anymore. Today, I realized that bio film developed and trapped way more CO2 than normal and killed my amanos.

Which one would you recommend an air pump with air stones or an Eheim surface skimmer? Also, this is a 50 gallon tank with regular dimensions. If air pumps are better, which one should I get that's quiet? Thanks.

·
Banned
1,377 Posts
Air stone for sure, but if you are adding air to the setup take advantage of it and add a air powered sponge filter. It will really up your shrimp game!

I think any if the typical brands are about the same noise level. There are a few tricks you can use to help dampen the vibration noise. I've seen people place them on top of a soft sponge, different things like that.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
As long as the body of it doesn't touch anything but only the legs sitting down on whereever you put it, a Wisper is about as quiet as I've ever seen(heard)/had.
Before you buy one, find a site that has the repair kits. I'm not an engineer but if one has the same identical repair kit as another model # one does, wouldn't that make you think that they can't pump any different amount of air ? A couple of the models do have the same repair kits.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Do you monitor your CO2 at all? Drop checker, ph monitor? Sounds like you have it turned up too high. You can have good surface movement and CO2. I wouldn't run an air stone at the same time I was running CO2, but doing so once it was off would be okay. Personally don't think you need to add any more equipment to fix what sounds like an adjustment error.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts