The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my rainbowfish are always gasping at the surface later in the day...I know this is because of higher CO2 levels but my rummynose seems just fine. Are rainbowfish just more sensitive to that? any suggestions how I can keep them happy and keep my CO2 levels high enough so i don't turn my tank into an algae farm?

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
maybe that's why one of them jumped out of the tank :)

yeah, there is a way. Lower everything. Lower CO2, lights (wattage & photo period), and ferts (NPK)...

or turn off CO2 at night.

·
Registered
888 Posts
But in fact, rummies do live in waters where oxygen content is often low.:smile:

·
Registered
449 Posts
Yes, I definately found my rainbowfish to be more sensitive to elevated levels of injected CO2.

I'm not sure if it's because they have more trouble with gas exchange required during 'breathing' or if it's also the lowered pH levels that bothers them. I learned some rainbowfish prefer neutral to alkaline pH 7 - 8; ie., Boesemani, Turquoise and Lake Tebera.

I eventually did a changeroo with my fish and moved my Lake Tebera Rainbowfish to my low-tech tank and put my Congo Tetras into my high light/ CO2 injected tank. Three episodes of beautiful but unhappy, gasping fish was all I had nerves for. Not to fail to mention, also costly fish!

I know other folks do keep rainbows in with injected CO2, perhaps they're using a pH controller to better monitor and maintain specific levels of dissolved CO2? Or they're running lower bubble-counts?

·
Registered
176 Posts
From reading about Bows on Rainbow forums I've learned that they prefer O2 rich waters and they are very sensitive to low levels.

From Rainbowfish, Boeseman's - Aquaria Akamai

Rainbowfish require high levels of oxygen and keepers running CO2 need to be aware that quantities in excess of 25ppm will prove detrimental to the health of their fish.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'm running about 20ppm CO2 in my tank and the rainbows seem ok. I keep the Kh around 5 and the Ph around 6.8 with a controller. I will say that rainbows appear to love current. I've been experimenting with powerheads in various places in my tank and whenever they come on the rainbows always gather to play in the flow. I've settled on having one the blows across the face of the tank and the rainbows line up in the current when it comes on.

I also run a sump system so the water probably stays fairly well oxygenated from the trip through the overflow down into the sump.

David

1 - 6 of 6 Posts