The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I did some reading online, but since there are a lot of tech-/DIY-savvy people around here, I figured I'd ask here as well.

Gas-powered appliances have always freaked me out a little. My question is, what happens if the flame of a gas burner gets blown out or someone accidentally turns on the gas without igniting it? Is there a shutoff valve similar to what's in a gas oven? Or will the gas just continually flow until it's shut off?

This is a fairly new range with electric ignition (i.e. no pilot light).

On a related note, I notice that when I turn the range off, there will always be one click from the electric igniter before the dial goes to off. In the event of gas in the air, is it a good idea to shut the range off before evacuating, or could this click ignite the gas? IT's impossible to see whether there is a spark since the burner is still on at this point, of course.

Thank you!

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
If you have a gas on, it will run indefinitely until the valve is closed or your source is empty.

I have a gas range with an electric igniter. During the power outage of the last hurricane, we were able to cool and boil water using the stove and ignite using matches.

There shouldn't be a click when you turn the valve to the close position. Maybe its because I turn very quickly or it may depend on the range model as well.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
The click isn't anything to worry about it just depends where the igniter engages, my stove when you first turn it the igniter comes on, my parents you have to turn all the way to the end, so on mine i hear a click when i turn it off.

I have a gas clothes dryer and gas stove, yes thats always something to think about but thankfully it either naturally smells or was given a chemical scent so that you will know if you have a leak and can quickly resolve the matter.

Sent from a dark corner in my happy place

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
With an range with electric ignition gas range the knob is your safety as there is no pilot burning.

Yes, you still have to be sure the gas is off for each burner. If you are getting your self paranoid over this adopt this practice, before you leave the house or go to sleep check each knob as you turn it say to yourself OFF. Also do this after cooking.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts