The Planted Tank Forum banner
161 - 180 of 206 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
Well I just spent the last 2 hours giving the moss a haircut. I let the tank go for a week without fertilizing and I have algae growing in the moss again. I need to get an Aquarium computer to remind me when I need to dose.

I dunno.. I think the moss looks pretty funky... I still need to do something with the moss on the far left.. but the middle turned out pretty well.

Click here for larger picture

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I let the tank go for a week without fertilizing and I have algae growing in the moss again. I need to get an Aquarium computer to remind me when I need to dose.
You could always set up a Wasserpest style auto doser with a $16 Aquarium Systems 606 pump, $10 digital timer, dosing syringe and airline. I also put on a little flow control I got from US Plastics for $8 plus shipping. I have two tanks dosed this way and each container lasts a bit over 3 weeks. The only thing I dose manually is PO4 3x a week with a Ecco little "dash" spoon. Saves a lot of time.

The moss trim is pretty funny. Looks like an English garden now. LOL

·
Banned
388 Posts
Thats glosso gone wild! The video is not as exciting as the others. Tank looks good, the moss "trees" add a very bonsai look to it. It looks clean and the slate looks good as well. Call me crazy, but i like it alot.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Well I just spent the last 2 hours giving the moss a haircut. I let the tank go for a week without fertilizing and I have algae growing in the moss again. I need to get an Aquarium computer to remind me when I need to dose.

I dunno.. I think the moss looks pretty funky... I still need to do something with the moss on the far left.. but the middle turned out pretty well.

Click here for larger picture
The slate and mosss background looks stunning, great work on the little moss hedges - they provide a nice contrast to the dark slate background. Really nice!

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Actually, i liked the moss more wild looking, i'm sure it looks different in person, but on the pic, it looks very unatural.

·
Premium Member
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 ·
The platties will breed pretty much continuously in the 45... I wouldnt recomend breeding large numbers of them in a 10 gallon though... My 10 Gallon here serves as a very temporary home for smaller fry. I sell them unce they reach young adult, almost breedable size.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
You mean you can SELL those? lol
My lfs would give me platy fry if i asked!
they're pretty much the rabbits of the fish world i geuss.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Ever find an id for that segmented grass of yours?

I have a guess - Lilaeopsis macloviana

The guys from Tropica conjured up some of this new hobby species for us at the AGA Convention this year. It is a lot like the shorter Lilaeopsis species, but this one gets really tall and has those segmented leaves. I have some if you'd like clippings to compare. Most of mine is growing emersed.

·
Premium Member
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #179 ·
So I decided to start putting together some moonlights for my tank. I started with 3 LED's but its not nearly enough. I"m going to need at least 12 or more to do what I want. I plan on using a series of LED's to highlight the slate and shine behind the plants to try and backlight them. The foreground will recieve many highlights as well.

161 - 180 of 206 Posts