The Planted Tank Forum banner
21 - 40 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Its looking really nice! I have to say with the moss and other plants it's starting to look alive!

What do you think of moving the vals to the side though so it isn't covering up your beautiful rockwork?

-Andrew

·
Registered
705 Posts
looks amazing i cant wait to see it once everything grows in and there are 1 million cherrie shrimp swimming around it:red_mouth

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Looks awesome, especially the moss and slate effect.
i would get rid of the vals or move them to the corner/side.
they take alot away from the slate.
sunbursts are my favorite platy, they seem somehow more inteligent than the others.

·
Premium Member
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Its looking really nice! I have to say with the moss and other plants it's starting to look alive!

What do you think of moving the vals to the side though so it isn't covering up your beautiful rockwork?

-Andrew
I've actually moved the vals around a bit since I took that picture.... I know its only been a day but I did some replanting and shaping a bit.. I'll post another pic soon with the changes

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
I've actually moved the vals around a bit since I took that picture.... I know its only been a day but I did some replanting and shaping a bit.. I'll post another pic soon with the changes
Ohh good to hear! It looks sooo good I really didn't want to see any plants dead center taking the eyes off the wall!

:angel: Pictures Pictures Pictures:angel: !!

-Andrew

·
Premium Member
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Well today I ordered some new light bulbs as these ones are simply too old. They are growing the plants, but the glosso is struggling a bit so I'm going to replace 2 of the bulbs (the ones near the front of the tank).

I've also managed to get some shrimp on hold till thursday (when I get the lights I'm going to pick them up). At $4 each, its the best deal in town for Ammano's... I will probably add 10-15 of them, and maybe a handful of cherries (if I can find some adults, or larger shrimp).

Next friday I should have my shipment of Cardinal tetra's as well, and I might add a couple more fan shrimp.

·
Premium Member
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I really like your slate, how many pounds of rock are there? is your stand strong enough?
I made the stand out of 3/4 inch plywood, and its only about 18-20 inches high so it keeps the center of gravity for this tank pretty low to the ground. With as much rockwork as I have in this tank I wanted to keep it pretty low to the ground.

There is about 100 pounds of slate in there, which isn't really that much when you think about how much water its displacing. 45 Gallons of water weighs about 375 pounds, and the rock is displacing around 12 Gallons of water (about 100 pounds of water) so its not really "adding" weight.

I might be off on my estimates, I haven't really measured exactly how much water volume is in the tank now but I'm probably within 30-40 pounds.

The only thing to be concerned about is how the weight is distributed on the bottom glass as the slate wall puts a lot of weight on the back half. I had this tank made for me though, with the intention of using a lot of rock so I'm not really worried.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Hey GDominy, did you ever post on the Loaches Online forum? I remember your name. . . i stopped posting on there a few years ago.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
looks great..I love the slate effect. I could see a little bunch of bushes of dwarf lobelia off to the right front.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Nice wall. Did you just stack them up? Maybe silicone into place? Are there any worries about small fish/shrimp getting trapped behind there?

·
Premium Member
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Nice wall. Did you just stack them up? Maybe silicone into place? Are there any worries about small fish/shrimp getting trapped behind there?
The slate is held together with gravity and willpower.. heheh.. I am not really worried about the fish getting stuck.. the largest fish in this tank is a platty and they can easily navigate the slate. There are tons of tunnels behind the wall that the shrimp navigate and hide in too.

I was a bit worried that stuff might get stuck.. but so far.. so good

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Hey gdominy, is that L.sessiflora?
i love that plant.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Just stack huh? What about stagnant water? Have you ever had problems with that, maybe causing dead zones where nasty things could happen?

·
Premium Member
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Just stack huh? What about stagnant water? Have you ever had problems with that, maybe causing dead zones where nasty things could happen?
I have had problems with slate walls twice, and it was always when I was setting up a wall in front of a really deep gravel bed (tightly packed together like a retaining wall).

The way the wall is set up now, with the input to the Filter behind the wall, it actually causes water to flow behind the slate. I have the filter output aimed toward the front left side of the tank (direct opposite) so it creates a circular flow from the front of the tank, the back, left to right.

There are a couple of spots in the tank that "might" cause problems (areas of slate down near the gravel), but I didn't make the slate too tightly packed, so it shouldn't be too much trouble

21 - 40 of 206 Posts