The Planted Tank Forum banner
181 - 200 of 206 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #184 ·
WOW...serouisly WOW....how do you keep your red plants sooooo red ? Mine always turns green after a month or so.
Well.. My plants will turn green if I dont stay on top of my nutrient levels, or if the lights are too old. I like the red plants.. but I think I might remove them as they are too large for the tank. I need to find some small leaf red plants.. but that seems to be challenging

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
this is possibly the nicest tank ive seen, in cornwall theres a flooded quarry that has slate retaining walls almost identical to the backdrop of you tank
amazing tank and so realistic!

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Hey G, i think you may be on the verge of too much moonlights, they're so very bright, too many of them may keep the fish and plants awake all night,
just my $.02

·
Premium Member
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #187 ·
The moonlights I'm using are actually quite dim.. you can barely see them. The picture above has been "enhanced" somewhat to show the detail. I don't plan on running the moonlights for more then an hour or so after "lights out" just to see the slate in the late hours of the evening.

I don't plan on leaving htem on all night for exactly the reason you mentioned. They are simply there to "show off" the tank at night

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Oh, ok, i geuss the camera captures the light more than it actually is there, mine looks the same, but in real life, i can't see them except the bottom of the tank.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
That moss looks absolutely amazing and I like the bonsai look as well; it is different! I also think that you will enjoy the HC if you have enough light and CO2. I know that I ripped my glosso out recently and haven't looked back since. It is an insanely awesome and tiny plant but I've got mine pearling every day now...its worth it for me, what was your "experience" with it?

·
Premium Member
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #190 ·
That moss looks absolutely amazing and I like the bonsai look as well; it is different! I also think that you will enjoy the HC if you have enough light and CO2. I know that I ripped my glosso out recently and haven't looked back since. It is an insanely awesome and tiny plant but I've got mine pearling every day now...its worth it for me, what was your "experience" with it?
Thanks :) The moss was actually inspired by a friend of mines bonsai collection. We've known each other for a long time and share a mutual interest in plants.. they just sort of branched off. Every once in a while though our plant hobbies collide.. lol.

When I tried HC earlier it didnt transplant well.. and before it had a chance to recover it had gotten choked out by glossostigma. This time around though things are going very very well. Since I posted the first picture several of the HC "plugs" have grown together and a carpet is already forming.

I added a small amount of Utricularia Graminifolia today too.. so I'm curious to see how it will look.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Well, it sure looks nice. How do you get your moss to grow that well? Mine never grows like that. Is your water hard? Low or high flow filter? dosing? Light intensity and spectrum? Just curious as mine usually collects detritus algae and never looks that green.

It'll grow wild again in a day or two.. I just needed to give it some shape first... Every time I prune it like this the moss responds by growing in even thicker :)

·
Premium Member
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #193 ·
Well, it sure looks nice. How do you get your moss to grow that well? Mine never grows like that. Is your water hard? Low or high flow filter? dosing? Light intensity and spectrum? Just curious as mine usually collects detritus algae and never looks that green.
My water is very soft... the tank is filtered with a rena XP3, lit with 2 x 65 watt 6700k Coralife CF bulbs and 2 x 65 watt All Glass 8000k CF bulbs.

The moss grows so fast that any crap that collects in it gets pruned out every couple days when I give it its haircut. If I leave it to grow wild the stuff lower down starts to die off as it gets light starved.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Thanks :) The moss was actually inspired by a friend of mines bonsai collection. We've known each other for a long time and share a mutual interest in plants.. they just sort of branched off. Every once in a while though our plant hobbies collide.. lol.

When I tried HC earlier it didnt transplant well.. and before it had a chance to recover it had gotten choked out by glossostigma. This time around though things are going very very well. Since I posted the first picture several of the HC "plugs" have grown together and a carpet is already forming.

I added a small amount of Utricularia Graminifolia today too.. so I'm curious to see how it will look.
I knew it! I have bonsai too and I thought I saw something in your trimming that replicated bonsai style. aha. Yes, initially my experience with HC was less than stellar. But of course being the idiot that I am I tried to introduce it into a brand new tank that hadn't even cycled yet, so it was a bad experience. Today, totally different experience. It's taken off and is quickly turning into a tiny green engine of photosynthesis. I wish I had a really nice camera for some close up pics of mine, it pearls all the time. We both have the same exact lighting btw, so you might get even better results with your soft water (I've got liquid rock to work with). As for the UG, you'll like that too but it does grow rather quickly and can become a problem. FWIW, watch out for it because it has a tendency to choke out every living plant on the block (and you don't want a repeat of the glosso fiasco!)lol.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
The tank looks great.

I've been thinking about trying moss hedges as well, and well you beat me to it! I can't remember, what moss did you use was it java (if so what Latin name? since there is a name discrepancy!)

Nice job, Like how the slate has some nice character nice and dark and fresh behind the moss. As far as natural looking, who cares?

-Andrew

·
Registered
365 Posts
Simply superb!

·
Premium Member
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #200 ·
Well.. here is a non-pictorial update. Pictures will follow once I get a decent prune in but I'm recoving from a pretty serious allergic reaction, so that wont be for a day or two.

The HC has grown in nicely, and the UG is starting to grow a bit. I completely removed all of the riccia and I am extending the moss all the way to the right side.

My current project for this tank is underway... I am adding a GHL Profilux II aquarium computer and a set of dosing pumps from GHL as well. The computer will act as my Ph Controller, Lighting timers for 3 tanks, moonlight controller, UV Sterilizer controller, and a fertilizer dosing system for KNo3, Phosphate and Micro's. On top of all of that it will allow me to monitor my aquarium stats from over the internet, and plot the statistics to get a btter idea of how my tank is doing.

More details to follow!

I also have another project I am doing at work in an Oceanic biocube that I'll be posting here soon...

181 - 200 of 206 Posts