The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
found this RO unit today at a garage sale, Ive seen systems for 200-400 online and asked the lady why she was selling it. She said it was too complicated for her. I then asked the price. She said 3 dollars. So I bought it, cha Ching!
I have a 12 long that I'm running and it will be a shrimp/plant tank only! I'm planning on using this. I need to get new filters which look cheap enough. They say to Change every six months but will I need to do that if I'm only running 5 gallons out of it a week? Also is there anything it needs special for shrimp use? I wasn't planning on getting one but 3 bucks is a no brainer and its in perfect condition.
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garde...pspla&ef_id=Uo6dlAAAAdTBnxEl:20140405162322:s

·
Registered
12,412 Posts
I used to have a part time job where we went out to service these things! Are you aware that there are some who find pouring water out of a bucket to be too much work? I'm guessing you made a great find, there.
I would not automatically change the filter as we often found them to be almost new when we changed them. Get a manual and do it right and you may find the filters last a really long time-- or not. Depends on the water you put in and what you want out.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sure it has some life, butthe filters don't look too expensive. First I got to figure out where I'm going the dang thing.

·
Registered
206 Posts
if u got the spout for the kitchen do it hook it up right, I love mine plus the better drink water for the whole family run a t line to the fridge and now you got great ice in the maker also

my water is junk and with a tds meter i change mine every 6 mos takes 25 mins to do it.

we use it for cooking, family pets and my 2 fish tanks. biggest advantage was the lack of hard calcum build up on the tanks

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I want to put it under the kitchen sink but I just squeezed and I mean barely got a 20 lb co2 setup under it so I don't have room for the blue bladder tank. I think I'm going to set it up in the garage and just fill juggs for the fridge and a five gallon bucket for my water changes. I'm excited best deal I've found at a yard sale in a while!

Did u upgrade the storage tank? How long does it take to fill up a jug? I'm wondering about the speed if I need to upgrade the 3.5 gal tank it came with for water changes

·
Registered
435 Posts
I'd move the CO2 tank and put the RO system under the sink and hook it up for drinking water. Filling up jugs of water will be a PITA and will become a chore.

I am in the process of hooking up my RODI system up to the fridge for drinking water and ice.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well I ran a co2 line through my kitchen island and I have a tank there on the backside being fed. I had no other choice as it won't fit anywhere else. I only really need the ro for that tank and I change about 5 gals a week. I have 2 year old and a 4 year old that I only give bottle water so another 2 gal a week shouldn't be that bad.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I saw a 5 gal storage tank at the hardware store for about 50. My tank is 12 long but have big rocks in it so 5gal should be good for weekly maintance.thanx tricken. I thought that was the case, having to wait to fill

1 - 9 of 9 Posts