The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just moved and this is my "new" 75g planted tank. I got the tank (oceanic with starphire on the front panel) and stand used for about $100. I sanded down the stand and repainted it, and for the tank I redid all the seals. I also got an used TEK light 4 bulbs for $120, which I fan modded for better performance.

The tank has been running for 2 weeks. I planted HC with no water and a week later I filled the tank. I tried HC before and it always died, but this time seems to be doing good. It pearls every day.

Today I received some blyxa and I just planted it, maybe thats why it looks so pale hopefully it makes it.

I run the light for 12 hrs total. 8 hrs one pair of bulbs and 8 the other, overlapping for only 4hrs. Im injecting pressurized CO2 and also dry dosing ferts (Nitrates, phosphates, and CSM-B plantex).

Equipment:
  • 75g Oceanic Tank with starphire on the front
  • 1200 Cascade Filter
  • Rena Filstar XP3
  • DIY CO2 reactor
  • TEK 4 bulbs light fixture (modded) 2 6500k bulbs and 2 10000k (UV lighting brand)
  • DIY ADA style light holders
  • 200w Stealth heater
  • Reefkeeper Controller

Plants:
  • HC
  • Blyxa Japonica

Substrate:
  • Soilmaster Select

FRONT VIEW

SIDE VIEW

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im thinking in putting a school of cardinals, I dont know how many though. Also a few ottos and some snails. Maybe some other cool schooling fish.
As of know Im getting some diatoms, maybe the snails or ottos will help with that.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Good stuff. Love the layout and the wood. Think about shrimp. I am a newbie, and I really love the shrimp in my tank.

·
Fear the Swamp!
2,512 Posts
You got a great deal on this tank and light setup. That's some funky wood you have in there too. I like it and can't wait to see it grow out.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
That looks like a good start. You have a lot of room in there for cool plants. This tank would look nice with lots of different stems. Have you looked around Swap n Shop? I saw that legomaniac89 has some nice plants posted there. A nice big red sword would look cool in this tank too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts