The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My LFS can get the Glaxy Rasbora. Im interested in getting some and tying to breed them. But I was wondering first how big they get? And which of my tanks they would be best in or if I can get them.

Tank 1:
15g, planted
cherry shrimp, cajan crayfish

tank 2:
55G, will be a 125g when I start adding some of the fish
heavily planted, CO2, bogwood
2 kribs [breeding pair]
2 bushynose pleco [BP]
pork chop rasboras [1"]
4 pearl gourami [1m, 3f]
4 platy's
?? kuhli's
5 oto cats

So could I fit Galaxy rasbora's into either of my tanks??

·
Registered
842 Posts
Please find out if they were bred in captivity. There are articles that this beautiful little fish is disappearing from the wild. It has only been found in one little place in the world and has caused such a stir that they have almost wiped them out to fill demand.

Please do not buy the fish unless you are sure they have been bred in captivity, and you know what you are doing. For now lets let the experienced breeders work with the fish and only buy if we are sure they are not wild caught.

Oh, and they stay TINY.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I don't see how the nano fish are going to damage the shrimp tank but they will still eat the shrimp larva(tchah...better than the word 'shrimplet' :hihi: ) like other fish do.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yo fellow Minnesotain, surprise surprise. I'm in woodbury, so not too far away from you. By your location is it Forest Lake Pet shop that carries the Galaxy's? I might be interested in some too but dang they are expensive. World of fish here was selling them for $24.99 :icon_surp :icon_surp :mad:

Let me know how much they go for and where can you get them.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have yet to find an actual breeder of Celestichthys margaritatus aka Galaxy Rasbora.

I would tend to think that most places would say that to make a sale that they can make a pretty hefty profit off of.

Here the wild caught ones go for about $5 a pop.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
247; we've read that wild yields are far too low now to meet demand, so whatever fish you are buying in CA are mostly likely captive bred. Since you can buy them on-line for $5 each, the captive breeders must be very successful at it. I'm sure once more hobby breeders get the water conditions right, they will be more commonly offered on Aquabid and maybe even here on SnS.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I have some spawning in a 20-gal with a bunch of cherry red shrimp. The fry are VERY tiny and stay that way for quite a long time so they are easy prey for other fish, including the parents.

The tank is loaded with weeds, er... plants, like najas grass, java fern, java moss, and a bunch of other stuff I don't even know the names of. There are approx. 20 adults in the tank and could probably handle a dozen more without being too crowded.

·
Registered
706 Posts
rmc, what are the water conditions and what do you feed them? only have access to wild ones here, and they are in so piss poor condition my survival ragte is 0.00 so far. so i dont dump more cash down the drain i am trying to find out as much as i can. so far i only have slight acidic, lower temps.....

thanks

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I bought what was left at a LFS that are wild stock just to save them from being an ornament fish in someone's tank in hopes of breeding them....would be interested in hearing about what water parameters successful breeders have.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Please find out if they were bred in captivity. There are articles that this beautiful little fish is disappearing from the wild. It has only been found in one little place in the world and has caused such a stir that they have almost wiped them out to fill demand.

Please do not buy the fish unless you are sure they have been bred in captivity, and you know what you are doing. For now lets let the experienced breeders work with the fish and only buy if we are sure they are not wild caught.

Oh, and they stay TINY.
altho I do aggree with your sentiment. leaving wild caughts in store stock gives high potential for a dead end fish. Meaning some person that wants them just for looking at might buy them and add to the decrease in population of these fish.
So reguardless of captive or wild bred if the buyer has the intention of breeding I think that is a positive thing. Then they can turn around and start supplying that store with captive bred so they don't have to keep ordering wilds.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I bought what was left at a LFS that are wild stock just to save them from being an ornament fish in someone's tank in hopes of breeding them....would be interested in hearing about what water parameters successful breeders have.
Me too, the guy actually said half jokingly "you better be breeding these".

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
altho I do aggree with your sentiment. leaving wild caughts in store stock gives high potential for a dead end fish. Meaning some person that wants them just for looking at might buy them and add to the decrease in population of these fish.
So reguardless of captive or wild bred if the buyer has the intention of breeding I think that is a positive thing. Then they can turn around and start supplying that store with captive bred so they don't have to keep ordering wilds.

I agree, a true hobbyist would be better suiting then most LFS.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes its FL pets and they actually do NOT have them. Martin there can get you the Galaxy's. We are there weekly, he knows every tank we have and every fish. He knows I was looking for a schooling fish. There just too small from a krib tank.

Would the Cajan crayfish bother them? How many should I start out in a 15g tank?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I would imagine that a crayfish would take an opportunity at a meal when the occasion arises.

In a 15g with no other fish I would probably go with 15-20

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes they would be the only fish in the tank. The crays do only get 2" though and are said Not to harm fish. Iv just never tied them with fish. But no problem with the crays and cherries.

·
Registered
44 Posts
AquaTropics in Crystal, MN has been carrying them for awhile now. I got a few there for $8/each awhile back. I know they were getting more in at the beginning of this week I think. So maybe try there if you're in the area.

Karen

·
Registered
203 Posts
^^^wow 55 rummies, I once had 35 and that was just a nice sight to see the school.

I'll check out aqua tropics. $8 a piece is not bad at all.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yeah they look pretty cool. Except the tank isn't scaped very nicely yet (but we got all our CO2 equipment today so we can get it all set up) so it doesn't look as impressive as it might. I picked up 25 or so of them from an LFS a few weeks ago and then had a friend give me 30 something of his he wanted to get rid of for $1 a piece. I think it's going to look awesome once it's all scaped.

Every time I've been in AquaTropics the past month or so they've had quite a few so definitely check it out.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Are you talking about celestial's KJoFan?

That would be an awesome sight to see 55 Celestial's swimming around!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts