The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it looks like the only official reference to its actual habitat (and the damage being done to it) is an article in practical fishkeeping which i havn't been able to find. However, here is a zoology blog that has some good info on the species, and its official classification as a danio as opposed to a microrasbora as it was originally thought.

http://www.strangeark.com/blog/2007/02/galaxy-rasbora-placed-in-new-genus.html

·
Registered
267 Posts
thanks for the info, I've been trying too find out more about them myself

·
Registered
81 Posts
the Galaxy Ras has been upgraded from PTF's
new thread weekly to
new thread daily status.
congratulation to all your Danio wannabees :hihi:
You know we all love a good cause :icon_smil

·
Registered
135 Posts
Dang, i wonder how much longer they'll be available, i've seen them on the lists off and on...looks like if i want a shot at breeding them i should get myself motivated.

Interesting articles, thanks for posting them, i've seen them in person a few times they are pretty little fish.

jason

·
Registered
319 Posts
I was really wishing to get some of them for my new 60gal tank but the price has been a deterrant. Jason, if you do end up breeding them, drop me a Private Message, you live close to me I assume.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Is there any good source that gives info on the water conditions one should keep these in? All I've found is to be some vague standard tropical suggestions.

I do hear they like temps a little lower then norm. like around 76 - 77

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
holy CRAP!! PH 5.5!? ahh man... I dunno If I can shift my tank that much. I 'm gonna have to do something else if I expect to get them to breed.
I almost lost one tho. She jumped out of my little holding tank and was out in the 20 gal with the rest of the fish. Crazy how small they are even compared to my smalest barbs.

Edit-- just read that article. It is pertaining to rasboras. Galaxy's are not Rasboras their Danios. And again it is not Species/area specific. Its a general info for all types. Ahh well. It does give some possibly usefull info. Lets see if I can peice it toghether for something that will work.

Is there anyone on this forum that has had any success breeding? What conditions are you keeping your's in?

·
Registered
6 Posts
The *authoritative* Celestial Pearl Danio Forum @ celestialpearldanio.com

CHECK IT OUT...................

Celestial Pearl Danio Forum
http://celestialpearldanio.com
An amazing tropical aquarium fish discovered in 2006. Other names:
Celestichthys margaritatus, galaxy rasbora or Microrasbora sp. 'Galaxy'.

View and post photos here!
Discuss feeding, breeding and tank requirements!!

:fish:

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Sweet find!

Mine have bred in my tank twice now so I think its a good start since most were half dead looking when I got them.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Oh, The LFS in my area got some new danios/microrasboras that have the same body shape as the Celestials but it has more subtle markings of little black blotches and only a splash of red on their fin tips.... I watched them for a little bit and either they flash/flap their fins like Threadfin rainbows to court/quarrel or they had some sort of disease.

ETA: I found out what they are called....Microrasbora Erythromicron

·
Registered
322 Posts
holy CRAP!! PH 5.5!? ahh man... I dunno If I can shift my tank that much. I 'm gonna have to do something else if I expect to get them to breed.
I almost lost one tho. She jumped out of my little holding tank and was out in the 20 gal with the rest of the fish. Crazy how small they are even compared to my smalest barbs.

Edit-- just read that article. It is pertaining to rasboras. Galaxy's are not Rasboras their Danios. And again it is not Species/area specific. Its a general info for all types. Ahh well. It does give some possibly usefull info. Lets see if I can peice it toghether for something that will work.

Is there anyone on this forum that has had any success breeding? What conditions are you keeping your's in?
5.5PH is in my sweet spot with no work required! I have had my 7 for two weeks now and they are looking great. No signs of breeding though.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Sweet find!

Mine have bred in my tank twice now so I think its a good start since most were half dead looking when I got them.

Sweet, did you ever get any fry to survive?

·
Registered
322 Posts
I appologize if this has been posted, but did not see:

I think I am seeing a display from my male GR's indicating a mating ritual? The males are circling the females and when the get in front of them they are shaking (aka getting jiggy), then repeating over and over. It appears if the males are trying to out do each other in displaying this to the females.

Am I just imagining things?? Anyone else see this type of display.

Ted

·
Registered
265 Posts
Beautiful fish! I think I'll stock my 20 gallon long with a few!

·
Registered
706 Posts
eklikewhoa, got 6 of those Microrasbora Erythromicron a few weeks ago and the dance you saw is normal, mine do it all the time, no breeding that i can see so must be more of a territorial thing. fun fish to watch, and much cheaper than celestial's for sure, though not as colorful. the black bars become more pronounced once they get comfortable in their surroundings as well.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts