The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well I might have some Celestial fry in my tank. They've been hiding in a large mat of Ricca. Not sure if they are from my croaking Gouramie's or the Celestial Danios. The Gouramies have been doing some serious lurking under the Ricca but I havent seen any bubble nests. Could be hunting the fry. Hopefully some will live long enough to tell what they are. I need to get a breeder/fry tank up and running soon I guess.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
They do look and act like little chubby danios except they stay nearer the substrate.
Mine are almost always amongst the plants in the top 1/8 of the tank, only a few inches below the surface. It's interesting that yours prefer to be deeper.

I also saw them at a LFS recently tagged as "Fireworks Rasbora". I inquired on the different name and the owner said that's how they're listed now (He wouldn't carry them at first because they were so expensive for such a small fish. I really don't blame him). I said, "I see they're down to $3.98. Is the price coming down because of the captive breeding?" He said it wasn't the breeding, that a new, bigger source had been found so they're not under so much demand and that hopefully the risk of going extinct in the wild is gone.

Personally, I don't care how well an animal breeds in captivity, if there's none left in the wild. If I had known that the original source was so tiny, I probably wouldn't have gotten them. Just like I won't support any dyed fish sales.

Let's hope the new source story is true.

Tommy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.