The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 29 g bio cube with many plants one Betta 2 albino glow-light tetras and a handful of cherry and crystal shrimp.Plus 1 galaxy (sole surviver) and one cardinal tetra (sole surviver).everything that is in this tank has been doing well.I started with a ph of 6.5 no amonia or nitrite-nitrates.The tank is 4 months old.

My problem is that i have attempted to add 3 sets of about 7 galaxies .The first time one lived so i asked the store what there water parameters were and then duplicated it on my tank thinking that maybe my water was not right for these fish.So then moved the ph up to 7 which is were there ph was at and tried again only to have the same result being all died with in 3 days.I basically did the same with cardinals in a different tank but read that Cardinal like a lower ph around 6.2 for instance tried 7 and one lived tried another 7 and they all died in 3 days.So basically i have one galaxy and one Cardinal alive and if i try to add more they die.Both tanks have fish that are doing excellent for 4 months now.I did find a cardinal head floating around is it a possibility that i have a nighttime psycho Betta that is killing these fish at night because i never see them floating or stressed at the bottom or top just gone all together and although i no the Betta cant eat them can it be possible that it is killing them and the tank is so planted i just cant see the bodies or is there something in my water that can be killing these fish? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I've kept CPD's both in mid 6's and up into the mid 7's without any problem.

I tried to keep them in a community tank, a 33g bowfront, and they stayed toward the back the entire time, and died off one by one.

I think if your water parameters are consistent, then the issue is either tankmates or bad stock.

·
Registered
258 Posts
murphysart, i'm no expert, but i've had 3 galaxies for almost 2 years and about 20 cardinals for almost 3 years, i bought 5 galazies, 2 of them died in the first week, the other 3 have since been fine, happy, and fat, the 20 or so cardinals... i still don't know how they are alive because their supposed lifespan is about 1 to 2 years and i know i got them at least 6 months old! i use water out of my tap (in houston) and it is usually about ~8ph, a lot of people go crazy with all the technical details, but the truth is a lot of the ph type of water parameters are applicable to wild caught specimens as they are used to those water conditions in the wild, most of the fish you see in the stores these days are not wild caught (although i have heard both CPD's and cardinals are more likely to be wild caught than tank raised compared to many other species), anyway, the point i'm trying to make is that its most likely tankmates or bad stock like JJ said, the only other thing maybe if they are getting too stressed during transport or abruptly thrown into a very different water without any time to adjust to temperature or something like that, one experiment can be to keep the betta in a jar next time you get a batch of either and see how they do w/o him in the tank (although i doubt he is the psycho serial killer of CPD's and cardinals)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response.I does sort of seem like that except for the one crazy one that has no fear at all actually will smash into the betta to get food first....all others just die..

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I would say the Betta is the culprit. However, I though my group of CPD all died, but come to find out they went in permanent hiding, they are very shy fish. Are you sure all but one are gone? Cant say for your tetra's. But if one of these tiny fish died, it would probably decompose faster then you could find it.

·
Registered
637 Posts
The way you talk about your pH, it makes me think you're using products to adjust your pH. If that's the case, it would be easier on your fish if you stopped using things and just let the pH stay constant. From all I've ever heard having a stable pH is better than using products to try and find the perfect one.

Also, it is not normal for nitrates to be 0 in an established tank; is your tank cycled? At 4 months it seems like it would be, but that nitrate reading is strange.

As other people mentioned, you should make sure and drip acclimate the new fish slowly; that will give them the best chance to adjust to your tank (If you haven't been doing that).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the responses. My well water ph is 6 the first 2 groups had died except the one at a constant ph there was no chemicals at all used.After that the local fish place told me my ph was way to low and that i should just use a neutral regulator since the fish they were selling me came from 7ph but it hasn't been a case of fluctuating ph and everything was stable.Could there be something in my well water that i can check for?I have a salt water reef tank and knock on wood have not lost anything and i cant keep 2 fish types that are supposed to be somewhat hardy...

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I'd suspect the stock or metals in the well water. pH didn't have anything to do with the fish deaths IMO. Especially since you're only moving pH between 6 and 7. Most conventional aquarium fish will do splendidly in this pH range (There are exceptions, hardwater cichlids, etc.). A fish may have originally come from water with different parameters, but in most cases they don't need, and sometimes don't even benefit from, water that exactly matches their original habitat.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I have CPDs & Cards in my 58 community tank. The CPDs are more outgoing than the Cards most of the time. They eat right next to the Discus. They don't seem to live forever in large groups in that tank, but the ones that do live live long. I think it's the 78* tank temp because I also have a 10 gal CPD/EDR tank that only runs around 74* & everyones been there for at least a year. Cards & CPDs are both relatively sensative fish. It may be the tank conditions & not necessarily the tank mates.

Tommy

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I have CPDs & Cards in my 58 community tank. The CPDs are more outgoing than the Cards most of the time. They eat right next to the Discus. They don't seem to live forever in large groups in that tank, but the ones that do live live long. I think it's the 78* tank temp because I also have a 10 gal CPD/EDR tank that only runs around 74* & everyones been there for at least a year. Cards & CPDs are both relatively sensitive fish. It may be the tank conditions & not necessarily the tank mates. A 29 is pretty big for such a small bioload. 0 Nitrates is not normal. The tank may not be completely cycled yet & the more sensitive Cards & CPDs can't take it.

Tommy

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well i just lost my Betta so somethings not right at all.Like i said all the parameters are pretty much in check i keep up with water changes ect.I am starting to feel like there is something in my well water that is just not safe for fish or even me at that.I live in North east P.A.

Would it be a good idea to do some water changes with ro at this point?Or is there some type of test besides the basic ammonia,ph,nitrate,nitrite test because all them are in order...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.