The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just obtained 9 captive breed Galaxy Rasbora's / Celestial's, but unfortunately they appear to be all females. If anyone has need for females, I would be interested in a swap for some males.

PM me if interested.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Thad,

How can you tell if its male or female? I have just gotten 15x yesterday at my lfs. The owner w/c is a sponsor of our club said that it was tank breed in europe. If I can tell the difference we can work out a trade.

-Brian

·
Registered
44 Posts
I looked at your pictures yesterday and thought you had a male there. I'm not positive as the pictures are a bit unclear but I believe that if you look at the anal fin, the females are mostly clear, with just a bit of the orange/red at the base, where the males have an extra squiggle lower on the fin. I marked on your picture what I thought the sexes were. Perhaps you can observe your fish and look at those fins and see what sexes you have. It can be hard to tell at times if they aren't colored up very well yet.

Also looking back at your larger pictures you can see the one toward the bottom facing left as you look at the picture has a darker spot around the ventral area, that's also I sign of a female that's mature enough to start spawning. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
99 Posts
In general the male will have more color on all of the fins. The males will have a reddish/orange area from the mouth to the first lower fin where as the female is paler. The 2 fins on the bottom are also different. On the male the front one is the same reddish/orange color with the back one being the same color but with black on it where as the females are just the reddish/orange for the back and clear or almost no color for the front one.

Take a look at this for more information.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I don't think you'd have to have another male, but you'd probably get higher fry rates with another. Males will squabble with one another but not to the point anyone gets hurt. :)

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Yep, it does look like you have a male amongst your group. The males have the black/blue scribbles and more red on the anal fin, lower portion of the body golden red, and the body is much more blue/dark

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.