The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK so 3 nights ago I went to a friends house to claim the 25H aquarium he no longer wanted. I came home and set it up (added his gravel back, hooked up his old filter..etc), and began to ponder what I might do with it. Originally I had thought tiger barbs and a red tailed black shark (duplicating a tank I had many years ago), well planted but no CO2. Anyway I went down to check my mail this morning and sitting by the apartment door was a 2gallon ice cream bucket with 5 Large fish in it, and a note saying "free to good home"!!!! I quickly grabbed the bucket and began the trek back upstairs to my apartment, when suddenly the Pleco (about 6" himself) lept out of the bucket and fell 3 stories to the floor below. I managed to get the rest of them to my place alright however it seems the fish had a really rough time of things and had been in the water for a while. I took a fish net and slowly began to remove dead fish after dead fish (including the 6" pleco, there was 2- 4+" gold fish, a 2" angel, and a 2.5" bala shark), the only thing left alive was the bala. Normally I would hae waited until my water and tank were the way I wanted them before adding anything, but what could I do but put him in and hope for the best. My LFS won't take him (dispite the fact that I know the owners personally), and I know my little 25 is going to be too small for him. So my question is how long do I have before he outgrows my tank?? I have an ad in the local paper and am hoping that someone with a big enough tank comes along. Also should I begin to aquascape the tank the way I want it? or wait to see what happens with him first?? thanks for your words of wisdom.
water parameters: AMMONIA 0 NITRITE 0

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, its a shame the others didn't make it. I'd say you have a long time before it outgrows a 25H, depending of course on the bio-load in general. As the only fish, it should do fine. The tank should cycle quickly (if it needs to cycle at all) unless the filter and gravel dried out. Still, I'd say the one fish should do OK. Good luck.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cam-> Ok well he seems to have made himself at home, I added a bunch of amazon swords to the tank to give him something interesting to swim around and to hide in. I also made a make shift cave with a few of the toys that were given with the tank.
F22-> Im way out in the middle of nowhere, so they dont want to have a fish they wont be able to sell. Nearest major city is 18hrs drive (assuming you obey the speed limit), and once it really starts snowing not much leaves this place unless its on a plane.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.