The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

In a few days, I will be getting my 120 Gallon tank (6 Feet Long), decided I will be going with the Fluval FX6 Canister Filter.
The tank will be home to about 100 Tetras and some corries. With plenty of plants.

Will 1 FX6 Canister be enough for the job, or should I get a second filter of sort? Will there be enough movement and filtration if the intake is positioned on the corner or should it be in the middle?

Thanks

·
Registered
187 Posts
I also use the fluval fx6 and I also use a eshopps r-200 refugium on my 125 gal tank. This way when I clean one filter the other filter still has the BB so I know it can handle the fish load as well the plants. More is filtration is always better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What do you guys think of going with a AquaClear 110 as the second filter. I know guys prefer the canister filters but I think I'd rather prefer only having to deal with 1 Canister and not worry about leaks if something were to go wrong. Plus it'll add the extra surface disturbance.

·
Registered
294 Posts
So, I've never used a canister filter on a tank larger than a 75. I have always just gone with a sump. Is there particular reasons people seem to against them these days? If you bought a sump for the same price as an fx6 it would be a great sump. Easy to clean, maintain, customize, repair, and never lose BB....can easily swap floss for perfectly clear water....you could also make one for half of the price.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, I've never used a canister filter on a tank larger than a 75. I have always just gone with a sump. Is there particular reasons people seem to against them these days? If you bought a sump for the same price as an fx6 it would be a great sump. Easy to clean, maintain, customize, repair, and never lose BB....can easily swap floss for perfectly clear water....you could also make one for half of the price.
Personally I've never been able to find a good diagram or video showing exactly how to set up a sump or how it all works (pushing the water and all) plus the drilling of a tank scares me, don't know if there are any shops near me that do that. But I'd love a sump.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Mostly because canisters are easy, simple, generally less expensive all counted, and take up less space. Not that they're better. That's why I run them anyway even though I've run sumps in the past (and because I've gone to more smaller tanks vs larger and I don't keep marine tanks these days). A well-designed sump is in most respects objectively a better filter. But doesn't make sense for a lot of people especially with smaller- to moderate-sized tanks. 120 is kind of borderline to me. I could go either way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts