The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure I can find the solution here on the forum if I really dug into it. I'll work on that later. But here goes the latest problem. I'm upgrading from a Fluval 306 to an FX4. I have a Hydor inline heater and a Green Leaf Aquarium inline C02 diffuser on the out line of the 306. Neither one fits the FX4 tubing. So I'm using the rubber adapters to the ribbed tubing from the 306 to adapters for the FX4. I'll find the right metal hose clamp to tighten them down.

I've mapped it out - FX4 hose from the cannister to an FX4 adapter - to a 306 rubber adapter - to the heater - to a 306 adapter - to a short link of 306 hose - to a 306 adapter - to the diffuser - to a 306 adapter - to an FX4 adapter - to the FX4 hose.

I'm going to have 18-24 inches of smaller tube capacity but I don't want to replace the heater or the diffuser.

What am I missing before I tackle this project?

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Hi @akagoriilla,

Why not run both filters? Run the FX4 by itself and the 306 with the heater and inline diffuser. That is what I do on my 75 gallon. One of my 350 gph filters has the Hydor heater and in-line diffuser and the other 250 gph filter I run as a "regular" filter. If I need to use Purigen or other 'added media' in the canister it goes into the filter with the heater and diffuser. Also, I only clean one filter at a time with at least a week (usually 2+ weeks) in-between so I don't lose all the beneficial bacteria. Adding the in-line heater and diffuser definitely reduces the flow on the one but the other is always going full throttle.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Hi akagorilla,

I run 2X 350 gph canisters on my 75 gallon and when the growth gets dense it is really marginal. Both the FX4 and 306 are less than 350 gph. Sounds like you need a new impeller shaft and or magnet/impeller assembly and shaft. If the magnet is scored or the shaft is worn that is when I usually have extra 'noise' out of my filters.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi akagorilla,

I run 2X 350 gph canisters on my 75 gallon and when the growth gets dense it is really marginal. Both the FX4 and 306 are less than 350 gph. Sounds like you need a new impeller shaft and or magnet/impeller assembly and shaft. If the magnet is scored or the shaft is worn that is when I usually have extra 'noise' out of my filters.
If I keep two, does it matter where the ins and outs are in the tank? Side by side or one centered in between the other?

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Hi akagorilla,

I have both my intakes together and the outputs next to them in a back corner pointing the water so it heads toward the front-center of the tank. This sets up a current in a circular manner that moves my CO2 mist and CO2 enriched water throughout the tank.

·
Registered
305 Posts
You could always use a “y” pvc splitter to two smaller lines with the diffuser and heater on one and then use another “y” to rejoin back to the 1” tubing. You’d likely have to replace the ribbed hosing on the output to vinyl tubing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
My take on filters. In the long run it doesn't matter. Nothing wrong with running the two, but that FX4 is more than enough from my experience. In the beginning the filter is vital since it houses chemical/mechanical and there really isn't any biological.

Once the tank matures, most of the filtration will be in the tank via the substrate and plants. The filter becomes primarily a flow device. There isn't anything magical going on in the filter. Most normal canister filters won't come close to the biological filtration in the tank.

In addition in a hi-tech tank your doing weekly large water changes, that removes a large part of the organic load which causes algae and other toxic issues. The filter doesn't remove these things, it just moves them to a different place. There still part of the system until you clean out the filter. Turnover becomes irrelevant what's important is gentile flow throughout the tank.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My take on filters. In the long run it doesn't matter. Nothing wrong with running the two, but that FX4 is more than enough from my experience. In the beginning the filter is vital since it houses chemical/mechanical and there really isn't any biological.

Once the tank matures, most of the filtration will be in the tank via the substrate and plants. The filter becomes primarily a flow device. There isn't anything magical going on in the filter. Most normal canister filters won't come close to the biological filtration in the tank.

In addition in a hi-tech tank your doing weekly large water changes, that removes a large part of the organic load which causes algae and other toxic issues. The filter doesn't remove these things, it just moves them to a different place. There still part of the system until you clean out the filter. Turnover becomes irrelevant what's important is gentile flow throughout the tank.
I agree. Would you install the inline heater and the inline diffuser, with smaller flow circumference, on the FX4 outline? Just circling back to the original question.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
I agree. Would you install the inline heater and the inline diffuser, with smaller flow circumference, on the FX4 outline? Just circling back to the original question.
You should be able to do that on the outflow. How cold does the tank's location get. I have a hydor inline and I've never even installed it since my temp is never below 72F.

·
Registered
305 Posts
If your asking if you can size down the fx4 tubing to a single smaller tube to fit the heater and the diffuser I would say no. If you’re going to run two filters keep that stuff on the smaller filter. Or split the outflow on the fx4 and put those on one of the outlets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
I turned it on!!!

The hurricane-force winds in the tank are incredible.
Hi akagorilla,

In other words good circulation of the CO2 enriched water!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.