The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure of the technical term, but, my tank has is starting to become covered in a light green fuzzy algea. (walls, driftwood etc.) I have 260 watts over the tank, which was on a very self indulgent 14 hour light cycle (yes I know lol, I promise no more than 12 hours from now on) which I just cut back to a 7 hour light cycle. I'm a tad concerned that my plants will suffer along with the algea. I'm mainly worried about the HC which was recently planted and hasn't had a chance to fill in yet. My question is this, Is my seven hour light cycle enough of a cut back to help with the algea? should I shorten it even more? if so how much and for how long? I'd like to starve the algea but not my beautiful HC :(

On the bright side, bought 10 glass shrimp today and they imediately started nibbling away :) however I think at this point its more than they can handle.

·
Registered
183 Posts
If the tank in question is the one in your profile's album I'd say it looks like a 55 gal. If so, 260w is a lot of light. You would have to have co2 and ferts very well balanced to not have algae problems.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry about the lack of info : /. Its a 55 with pressurized Co2, did a little reading and decided that I was probably being too shy with the Co2. Cranked it up so the indicator fluid is light green instead of light blue so hopefully that'll help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts