The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi !

My 10G tank is getting hit by fuzz algae.**It seems it got triggered by Flourish Comprehensive (or I may be mistaken).**Every time I change the water it seems to get worse and even worse if I prune plants.**I realize fuzz algae is rather common, but perhaps there is a solution to it ?

The circulation in the tank is pretty poor.**The plants got so large that they are blocking the current, but I am afraid to touch them because it will probably lead to another jump in fuzz agae.**Most importantly I noticed that the part that has good circulation from the filter has no algae at all.**Do you think this may be the root of the problem ?**Just in case I ordered a small power head to get water moving.

Also, my tank has almost unnoticeable amount of phosphates and nitrates...**I know ... I know ... I've read about EI and PPS methods and perhaps I will have to go that route.**I am a bit afraid that other kinds of algaes will wake up when I start adding fertilizers.**Do you think 0 nitrates and phosphates cause this problem ?

Here are some stats about my tank:

10 gallon tank
DYI CO2 ~ 30 ppm according to CO2/KH/PH chart
Lights: 28 Watt 50/50 Coralife + 2x10W Lights of America aquarium bulb ~ 4.8 wpg (or less)
Adding Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Leaf Zone (potash and iron) above recommended doze
Plants:**hygro, red ludwigia, glosso, hairgrass
6 small fish, including Chinese algae eater

Thanks for thinking about this problem !

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tank was set up for little over a month. The fuzz algae was coming and going, but this time it stuck around for at least couple of weeks. I reduced the lights and that seemed to help a little bit. Just today, I removed all plants that were hit particularly bad. I want to see if it will be coming back.

I'll try to take a good picture tomorrow.

Thanks for the reply !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.