The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

I just bought this light with a 12 inch cube and I realized it is missing the power supply. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement one? Thanks!

William

·
Registered
13,148 Posts
Hey all!

I just bought this light with a 12 inch cube and I realized it is missing the power supply. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement one? Thanks!

William
correct number:
Fluval power supply A3970D

CALL US ON OUR TOLL-FREE NUMBER:
CANADA ONLY: 1-800-554-2436 between 9:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Eastern Standard Time.
Ask for Customer Service.
U.S. ONLY: 1-800-724-2436 between 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time.
Ask for Customer Service.
U.K. ONLY: Helpline Number 01977 556622. Between 9:00 AM and 5:00 PM, Monday to Friday (excluding Bank
Holidays).
;)

That said, w/ specs and the right plug it would be easy to find a replacement wall wart..

24V DC .5A output, center positive connector..
This would probably work:
http://www.unicornelex.com/product_p/16-0004.htm

Make sure it is either stated as "regulated" or "switching" power supply.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot! I was thinking about getting this one from eBay, do you think it would work: 350872313966? That is the eBay item number since links to ads are blocked. Also how did you find out the specs, did you call the number you quoted in the above post?

·
Registered
13,148 Posts
Thanks a lot! I was thinking about getting this one from eBay, do you think it would work: 350872313966? That is the eBay item number since links to ads are blocked. Also how did you find out the specs, did you call the number you quoted in the above post?
I read the label off a pic. of the power supply..model # and all..
As to the power supply you posted, yes should work. I like "my" 1 Amp model better..more leeway..

Plug sizing is always an issue though.. ;)

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! So is there anyway to tell the plug size? Also, I am not completely familiar with the electronic aspects, is there any benefit from having a half amp higher than the original rating? I was just trying to find one that was exactly the specs of the stock one. Thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
13,148 Posts
Thanks! So is there anyway to tell the plug size? Also, I am not completely familiar with the electronic aspects, is there any benefit from having a half amp higher than the original rating? I was just trying to find one that was exactly the specs of the stock one. Thanks again for your help!
Well you can measure the inside diameter and the diameter of the "bar" that goes into the hole.. but it is not exactly easy w/ out a good mm gauge.

As to the amps, well in this case the ps, most manuf. go to the edge of specs so increasing the ps just means it won't be working at it's max. end.. Less taxing on the power supply.. theoretically..so to speak..

So as one doesn't want to go below manuf. specs, going above, depending on cost differential, is just a personal choice..but generally the larger the ps the better heat management they need.. so running under max is, as I said, less taxing..
Last complication, switching power supplies have the greatest efficiency somewhere south of max output.. so you also don't want to go too low either..

but not much of a difference..

Just a general picture, and it will depend on the ps design ect..These curves can go all over the board..

At 8W and running 24V the amp draw is est. to be .333.......Personal preference would be to put the ps somewhere in the 50% range or 666mA..
500mA or 1A either works........and a 1/2A power supply is fine IF designed well. That is the catch.. ;)
Toss a coin.. ;)

·
Registered
13,148 Posts
Thanks for the post! I will try to understand it after I get some sleep :)
Actually "if" the 500mA ps follows the 24V curve as shown above it is really more "ideal" for a 333mA current draw (max efficiency is at about 2/3 of rated current)..
but a 1A ps "should" have beefier parts.. so it will run cooler and last longer w/ a minor hit in efficiency..
84% vs 86%...
At least in theory.. ;)

http://www.powerstream.com/ac-2405.htm

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.