The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I am currently in a debate with myself. We might potentially be getting a house soon. Which means more room... and more fish tanks! I currently have one 33 long display tank already. But, I want another secondary tank just for fun.

I am looking into three tank sizes. 20 long, 30 breeder and 40 breeder. The 20 long overall might be the best bet as it would be the cheapest to setup and probably maintain as well. Basically the same as my 33 long minus 18 inches. But, the 30/40 breeders are also very tempting.

The tank may possibly be a cherry shrimp tank, but I might want fish. I don't know. I've never done a shrimp tank before and I think it would be really cool. It's going to be in a spare bedroom, so it's not like I am going to be in there constantly looking at it like my display tank in our living room. So that's why I thought possibly the 20 long would be the best choice.

But, I don't know. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
It's always tough trying to figure out your next setup. Just think about your time and what amount of effort you'd like to put in. 20 gallon long is always a good choice. But I wouldn't want you kicking yourself in the pants for not getting a bigger one that you really wanted. Anyway If you're going to go shrimp only, 20 gallons is plenty.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'd go for the 40 breeder if you think you might want fish. 20 gallons limits your choices considerably. Of the three the 30 breeder makes the least sense to me. You already have the 33 long for shallow water/high light. 40 breeders have really sweet proportions. The 18" width makes them fun to scape and they're deep enough to accommodate larger fish.

Specifically for cherry shrimp though I'd get the 20 long and a Matten filter. There's no harm keeping shrimp in a bigger tank but as you mention it's cheaper to set up and 20 gallons will support a good sized colony of shrimp.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's always tough trying to figure out your next setup. Just think about your time and what amount of effort you'd like to put in. 20 gallon long is always a good choice. But I wouldn't want you kicking yourself in the pants for not getting a bigger one that you really wanted. Anyway If you're going to go shrimp only, 20 gallons is plenty.
I'm not entirely sure. I have had a 40 breeder in the past and it is a nice tank.

I'd go for the 40 breeder if you think you might want fish. 20 gallons limits your choices considerably. Of the three the 30 breeder makes the least sense to me. You already have the 33 long for shallow water/high light. 40 breeders have really sweet proportions. The 18" width makes them fun to scape and they're deep enough to accommodate larger fish.

Specifically for cherry shrimp though I'd get the 20 long and a Matten filter. There's no harm keeping shrimp in a bigger tank but as you mention it's cheaper to set up and 20 gallons will support a good sized colony of shrimp.
The reason I like the 30 breeder is you get the same footprint as the 40 breeder, but being even shorter, it's super easy to work on. Plus it is unique. My 33 long being only 12 inches tall is a breeze to work on compared to any other tank that I've had. Well, larger tanks anyways.

But, I think a 20 long might possibly be suitable.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I've been really interested in a 30 breeder for the same reasons - it's a unique shape you don't see so often, and (for my personal goals) I love the shallow, pondlike aspect of it.
For shrimp I feel a 20 long would suit really well, but of course there's no reason the other 2 wouldn't work just as good!

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I've been really interested in a 30 breeder for the same reasons - it's a unique shape you don't see so often, and (for my personal goals) I love the shallow, pondlike aspect of it.
For shrimp I feel a 20 long would suit really well, but of course there's no reason the other 2 wouldn't work just as good!
I'm the same way. I prefer shallow/long tanks. I just recently assembled a somewhat 30 breeder. I'm just waiting for the silicone to cure.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm the same way. I prefer shallow/long tanks. I just recently assembled a somewhat 30 breeder. I'm just waiting for the silicone to cure.
Yes. This is why I am not entirely sure yet.

20 long would be a super easy way to go and to maintain. 30 breeder would also be a good choice, but for the one I want, super expensive. Around 130 bucks for just the tank. That's not including the 150-200 dollars for the stand. YIKES. For the 20 long, I have a petco gift card, so could easily get that for free. So the stand then would only be around 120 bucks. That really wouldn't be too shabby.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Yes. This is why I am not entirely sure yet.

20 long would be a super easy way to go and to maintain. 30 breeder would also be a good choice, but for the one I want, super expensive. Around 130 bucks for just the tank. That's not including the 150-200 dollars for the stand. YIKES. For the 20 long, I have a petco gift card, so could easily get that for free. So the stand then would only be around 120 bucks. That really wouldn't be too shabby.
If you can watch youtube videos, you can build your own stand! I haven't seen any 30 breeders around actually and I wanted something like the 40 breeder where it's semi long and wide. Will you be ordering online if you do decide on one?

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I'm not good at putting things together. I wouldn't trust my building lol Nope. There is a LFS that can order one for me and sometimes carries them too. Only downside is the brand I had in mind, Seapora, has a center brace on it.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Yeah, I'm not good at putting things together. I wouldn't trust my building lol Nope. There is a LFS that can order one for me and sometimes carries them too. Only downside is the brand I had in mind, Seapora, has a center brace on it.
I decided to Euro-Brace mine. Just the top front and top back only though . I had extra 36"x12" glass 1/4" thick. I ordered the bottom 36"x18" and the two braces 36"x3" all 1/4" thick just in case. When I typed in my dimensions using a glass thickness calculator, it was higher than a safety factor of 4. So even if I didn't Euro-Brace it, it should be okay.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't know about you, but typically, when I have a decision to make that involves things of various sizes, power ratings, etc. and I choose anything other than the largest size, I wind up saying: "I wish I had gone with the bigger...".

Would you really regret going with the largest tank you can reasonably afford right now?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Nice! I do quite like the 30 breeder. I like tanks a lot that are around 30 gallons or so and shallow.
I nearly ended up with a 40 breeder before this one. Petco has them on sale for about 49.99 I believe with the dollar per gallon sales. But I prefer rimless and I happened to have extra glass, aside from the bottom and braces. I like the fact that with shallow tanks, you wouldn't need high intensity lighting. A lot of lights will give us high par especially at this depth. Also you wont get wet sleeves :laugh2:

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't know about you, but typically, when I have a decision to make that involves things of various sizes, power ratings, etc. and I choose anything other than the largest size, I wind up saying: "I wish I had gone with the bigger...".

Would you really regret going with the largest tank you can reasonably afford right now?
Not necessarily. I could have gotten a 55 gallon tank over my current tank as they were around the same price. But I opted for the 33 due to ease of maintenance due to height.

I nearly ended up with a 40 breeder before this one. Petco has them on sale for about 49.99 I believe with the dollar per gallon sales. But I prefer rimless and I happened to have extra glass, aside from the bottom and braces. I like the fact that with shallow tanks, you wouldn't need high intensity lighting. A lot of lights will give us high par especially at this depth. Also you wont get wet sleeves :laugh2:
I actually had a 40 breeder before this. Though it was a nice tank, it doesn't compare to my 33 long in terms of ease of maintenance. And yes, I love that my hands barely get wet when doing anything in the tank! In the past, I have always done taller tanks like my old 75, 55 and 58 tall. But I have gone the opposite way now and like my tanks shorter. 16 inches is the tallest tank I would want to work on, but I would prefer 12.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Not necessarily. I could have gotten a 55 gallon tank over my current tank as they were around the same price. But I opted for the 33 due to ease of maintenance due to height.

I actually had a 40 breeder before this. Though it was a nice tank, it doesn't compare to my 33 long in terms of ease of maintenance. And yes, I love that my hands barely get wet when doing anything in the tank! In the past, I have always done taller tanks like my old 75, 55 and 58 tall. But I have gone the opposite way now and like my tanks shorter. 16 inches is the tallest tank I would want to work on, but I would prefer 12.
Either way, keep us posted on what you decide on!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I had the same debate when I upsized. Found a 30 gallon long. 36×12×16high. Nice tank, until I got the upsize itch again. Now I have a 75, and enjoy the 18 inch width, so my advice is to go with the 40 breeder. The wide footprint allows you to do alot more with planting and 'scaping.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts