The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Awesome equipment so far. I love the look of Manten stones!

Make sure you get a set of lily pipes as well (the stock green Eheim pipes will stand out like a sore thumb). I recommend Cal Aqua for the best mix of quality and price.

What are you planning for a light? I recommend this one.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Havn't really though about light, guess its quite an important factor? although shrimp dont need a huge amount of lighting, I was thinking plant wise just moss, java, christmas moss the usual stuff.
I was hoping to pick up a cheap light source, (and also trying to stay away from clipping stuff onto the tank itself although I see you have it on your tank and looks very nice!) how much is that light and is it available in the uk? its quite hard to source ADA stuff in uk.
Lily pipes will have to wait for now until probaly the next payday, I wanna get it up and running first before fully pimping it, but yeah I plan to get some ofc :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well I was going to go the CO2 route but I read in a few other threads that CO2 effects the breeding of shrimps compared to not using it, and seeing as my main aim is breeding them I thought I would avoid it. Good idea or?
For light I was thinking of clipping this on a low shelf above the tank.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110274639...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_2219wt_1346
It takes up to 60w but I was thinking of a 40w daylight bulb, should be good enough right?

I think I'm shrimp addicted since I joined this forum :D

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Received the light from ebay, its err rubbish lol
Guess I will have to spend some extra cash and get a good proper aquarium light.
If I ever decide to change my mind and grow high light plants it will never do, it not even that great with a 40Watt reflector.
I will look into finding the Archaea one after all I think or something similar, let's just hope I can find a uk retailer ;)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
http://arcadia-uk.info/product.php?pid=92&mid=11&id=4&lan=en

Eco-Aqua Tropical

Warm colour that enhances the red colours of fish and plants without flattening the iridescent blues of many tropical fish.

Got a new idea, I was thinking of getting one of these, anyone got any good ideas how I could hang this?
Where I'm gonna be putting my tanks, there's a shelf running right across from one side of the room to the other. From the wall the shelving comes out roughly the same width as the tank (27cms)
So I was thinking I need some way to hang the led from the shelf so its just above the tank.
These led lights give out an awesome spectrum of light, perfect for a shrimp tank I think, and they look really nice too.
One idea I had was small screw eyes in the shelf with fishing wire tied to them and then around both ends of the led light, good idea?
I'm open to better suggestions too ;)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ADA45P tank arrived today!
In the past I have always had cheap tanks, when I opened the box and got the tank out, I was shocked by the superb quality of the sealant work (or lack of it lol) and the optiwhite glass, truly money well spent, highly recommended to anyone thinking of buying one of these tanks. I will be buying two more in the very near future :)
Manten rocks also came today, I chose nano for rock size but I think I may need to either buy a few more of the 'small' size or think about just going plants as nano is exactly as described! very very small, I really thought they would be a little bigger oh well not a big problem.
I could just use them to fishing line tie some moss on I guess.
Still in two minds weather to go CO2 or not for tank number 1.

This is a rough plan for tank number 1. (ADA45P)

Substrate & Decor
ADA Aquasoil Amazonia (powder) x 2 bags
Sumatra Drift Root Wood
Manten Rocks

Plants
Glossostigma elatinoides (for Carpet)
http://www.thegreenmachineonline.com/products/aquatics/plants/tropica-potted-plants/bacopa-australis
Taxiphyllum barbieri (Java Moss)
Vesicularia dubyana (Christmas Moss)

Equipment
DIY CO2 (Maybe)
Eheim 2213 Expernal Canister filter
Lighting ?? (Still looking into it)

Livestock
6-10 Otto's (too many?)
Red Cherrys
4-5 Pink/Red Ramshorn Snails

I'm just concerned more about the welfare of the RCS under CO2.
Tank 2 & 3 are gonna be low spec one species tanks both with no CO2 and lots of moss, CRS in one and I still havn't decided what to put in tank 3 yet maybe something nice tigers or something similar, any recommendations?
Still waiting on the 2213, should arrive next week sometime. Is the 2213 discontinued now? The Green Machine was out of stock, thankfully they managed to source one from Germany for me although I will be needing to buy two more later on.
Anyone see any problem with tank 1 setup, anything I need to change?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Do you need CO2 for that plant list?
I thought that for a glosso carpet CO2 was needed no?

so do you think just one snail is sufficient? I wanted a few of those snails 'cause they are my favorite but yeah I don't want a huge outbreak lol, is there any way to sex them?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.