The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I realized I do not like majestic fish as I thought I would. I had looked into bgk, twig catfish, had blue rams and when I got around to seeing them, I realized they are not for me. I have some simple fun fish like mollies (that I am obsessed with) because they are funny and very boisterous. I have cory cats and clown loaches too. What other fish have a funny personality? I am not planning on stocking any other tank right now, just like to know more. I laugh daily watching my shrimp snatch food and swim away with it. They look almost guilty with their funny eyes.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Betta splendens, in proepr living conditions (2g or larger(bigger always better), heated (78-82f) and filtered (man made or large plant mass to keep nitrogen levels low/null) are like underwater puppies who want to have your attention. Each have their own personalities and quirks. They react and interact with you and times you show them: I've had males flare at a rose, and anther look inquisitively at it for a good minute, while a third fled and hid from the bright red thing. I have a male tat likes to rest on top of his thermometer, but a female who attacks her (sees her distorted reflection in it). For lack of complications keeping them solo is easiest, some cam be in community tanks with other fish/invert species.. but some simply won't share a tank with any other fauna.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My cherry barbs have always been very active fish. And my dominant Bolivian Ram. I also happen to have a very active bristlenose pleco whom I really enjoy watching.

For some reason, everyone in the house likes to come watch my ramshorn snails.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
For me it is espei rasbora. They swim against the current and let it flinf them across the tank. Pretty funny and entertaining to watch.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I also like the smarter fishes, things like Betta splendens, gourami's and angelfish. The bettas are the funniest though. Mine can spend hours swimming back loops around the heater's suction cup. Chases his own reflection, and sometimes bites me when I work on his glosso carpet...in the making. It is the kind of fish that should live on your desk. They thrive on attention.

My huge platy female is finally giving birth as I type. At least something exciting for a change, and more work setting up fry tanks, as there are a bunch of fish about to give birth. I don't know if it is hormonal, but once one goes, the others follow suit. They are pretty funny fish too, had a malformed one before, we called Bloeppy, was a very entertaining fish.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
For one of the funniest/goofiest fish, look up Freshwater Blennies. Definitely fun characters.

More basic fish that could be seen as funny/with a personality are, pufferfish. In my opinion rosy loaches (Petruichthys sp. 'rosy') and Celestial Pearl Danios are very curious little guys when kept happily.

EDIT: Oh I see looking up "freshwater blenny" doesn't yield too many results, especially for videos. Well their scientific name is Salaria fluviatilis, and that brings up more results if you were curious about them. (not recommending for your community tank just to clarify, just mentioning a crazy cool fish).

·
Registered
722 Posts
If you have clown loaches, put a school of about 12 tiger barbs with them. They will school together. But, the tiger barbs might not do well with mollies if they're in the same tank.
I've got 11 Tiger Barbs in my 125. I also have a couple of Yoyo Loaches. Between them they supply plenty of action. Sometimes it's quite comical. Despite all the warnings out there the Tiger Barbs have proven to be great community fish in my tank. You must have a large enough group so they stay occupied with each other. The only problems I have had was when I had a pair of Angels the Tigers would harass the female when she was laying eggs. Quite often 2 of the Tiger Barbs will square off nose to nose and have a sort of shoving match like a couple of Sumo wrestlers. It's very entertaining.

Of course you need a larger tank for either of these. Probably 50 gal or more ideally.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now I want a school of tiger barbs and a betta. Bettas are really neat. What about kuhli loaches? I always wanted some but my husband says they look like worms.

Bump:
For one of the funniest/goofiest fish, look up Freshwater Blennies. Definitely fun characters.

More basic fish that could be seen as funny/with a personality are, pufferfish. In my opinion rosy loaches (Petruichthys sp. 'rosy') and Celestial Pearl Danios are very curious little guys when kept happily.

EDIT: Oh I see looking up "freshwater blenny" doesn't yield too many results, especially for videos. Well their scientific name is Salaria fluviatilis, and that brings up more results if you were curious about them. (not recommending for your community tank just to clarify, just mentioning a crazy cool fish).
Haha! I love the look of gobies and blennies. It is nice to know they are fun to watch, too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have one guppy who loves riding the air bubbles. Swims into them at the bottom of the tank and rides then to the surface. Then does it all over again. Watched her do it for a half hour once. Named it Carnival as it looks like a ride.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I have a Dojo loach (Misgurnus anguillicaudatus), sometimes called weather loach that is a real character. I have had him/her for 12 years now and it is very tame and comes over and bunts my hand whenever I work in the tank, (I will call her a she just for simplicity). She even lets me pet her. She is very tame and seems to like to visit with me. She does not bother the plants at all, and likes to find a large leaf or a clump of stems to make a bed. It is funny to see her lying in her bed, watching the world go by. The only thing to watch out for, is that they will eat whatever they can get in their mouths, such as small shrimp, any fry in the tank and most common snails (expect for Malaysian trumpet snails). The tank with the Dojo loach has no pond snails or ramshorn snails, while all my other tanks do.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I love my Panda Garra. They dart and float all over the tank and when I stick my hand in, they come to investigate and then "clean" my skin. They also like to rest in funny spots in the tank. They're fun fish to watch, especially in a group. I have 9 and find myself sometimes just staring at my tank watching them. :p

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
This is a little far out but African Malawi mbuna...? Can't get more boisterous than that.

·
Registered
963 Posts
One fish often over looked is the Rosie Red/Fathead Minnow. I have some in my planted tank and they are always busy doing something. They have the added bonus of being dirt cheap. Just plan on doing some parasite treatments unless you can get some from a home breeder. I had a few die after I put them in, but I started with enough that it didn't really make a dent. They've grown quite a bit since I got them. At the moment I'm trying to decide if I want to figure out how to breed them in my tank or move them to another tank to try. From what I've read they need a 16 hour photoperiod to prompt the breeding response and my tank will turn into a green brick if I try that.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.