The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys im quite new to owning fish but ive done some research but i cant find out what this is? Do i need to be worried about this? the tank is around a week old i have 6 neon tetras 6 cardinal tetras and 1 pleco, getting quite worried!

Do i need to take this out!?

Any help will be amazing!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi guys im quite new to owning fish but ive done some research but i cant find out what this is? Do i need to be worried about this? the tank is around a week old i have 6 neon tetras 6 cardinal tetras and 1 pleco, getting quite worried!

Do i need to take this out!?

Any help will be amazing!!!!

This looks similar to stuff I get occasionally, I get mine on wood only and not that much though, I got told by a LFS it was a fungus from the wood reacting to water in a way, not sure specifics etc, i believe it is harmless though, I even have snails that’ll get rid of it occasionally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This looks similar to stuff I get occasionally, I get mine on wood only and not that much though, I got told by a LFS it was a fungus from the wood reacting to water in a way, not sure specifics etc, i believe it is harmless though, I even have snails that’ll get rid of it occasionally

Thanks for the quick reply! Do you think its worth investing in a few snails?, thanks!

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
It looks like rotting fish food to me. Siphon it out of the tank!

Reactions: Bandit1200

·
Premium Member
5,486 Posts
Did you cycle the tank before adding fish?
What are your water parameters: ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply! Do you think its worth investing in a few snails?, thanks!

Personally snails are a must in my tanks, some don’t like them, if you do, be prepared for dozens of baby snails everywhere.

Back to the fungus I’d siphon it out when you can.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ive gotten rid of the fungus from the tank and ill go and get some snails tomorrow, What would be the best recommended and how many to be safe? i dont want too many nor too little. Thank you guys for the help, it means a lot <3

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ive gotten rid of the fungus from the tank and ill go and get some snails tomorrow, What would be the best recommended and how many to be safe? i dont want too many nor too little. Thank you guys for the help, it means a lot <3

I had this fungus in my 30L Nano & I have around 4-6 Nerite snails maybe, I do have a lot of baby’s though so maybe go for less if you don’t want to pick them out individually

1 - 8 of 8 Posts