The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this grayish fungus growing on my driftwood. It's a brand new tank that I just set up a couple of weeks ago, not fully cycled yet. It starting popping up shortly after putting it in, now it's blooming like crazy! The driftwood also has java moss tied with fishing line to make a "tree". I'm noticing that some of my moss has also turned brown...

What could the cause of this be, and how can I stop/prevent it?

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
I have this grayish fungus growing on my driftwood. It's a brand new tank that I just set up a couple of weeks ago, not fully cycled yet. It starting popping up shortly after putting it in, now it's blooming like crazy! The driftwood also has java moss tied with fishing line to make a "tree". I'm noticing that some of my moss has also turned brown...

What could the cause of this be, and how can I stop/prevent it?
Hi Zielo,

Welcome to TPT!

+1 for houseofcards comment, it is very common to have fungus show up on new wood. I found my Corydoras as well as my Siamese Algae Eater would graze on it and keep it under control until it no longer was a problem.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
The fungus is unsightly and smelly but harmless. Its eating the sugars leeching from the wood.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.