The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think it was likely the salt. Salt should be approached with caution, and personally I don't like using salt on any freshwater fish. Some folks swear by it in all their tanks, but it mostly is a wive's tale as it only helps in dirty tanks to detox nitrite...you get enough of that from fish food.

Salt mostly will affect GH in the tank and switching fish back and forth will put them through stress from a changing of regulating fluid as it passes through the fish "skin". Think of when you drip acclimate your fish to new water...most folks believe it is pH shock, when in reality it is more a TDS shock which includes GH and KH.

A QT is always a good idea, but if you don't have one or for some reason don't wish to use on...something I have done in the past is use a Paraguard bath, move the new guys in and continue dosing the tank with Paraguard per normal directions for two weeks with daily 25% water changes just prior to dosing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My personal opinion is only if signs appear. I am not a fan of adding things to a tank that are not necessary. Paraguard was a suggestion if a QT is out of the question.

If I can expand on my earlier comment about the salt...

I don't think the salt directly did them in, but it was the apparent sickness then combined with the salt/MB dips then back to non-salted water that probably put them over the edge.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It maybe, but you said the BRs were compromised when you received them. So they were already sick.

Sick fish react different as well as all fish...I would chalk this up to a combination of factors and the salt/MB then to non-salted water put them over the edge...the guppies were not as sick so they were able to cope.

That's all I am saying.

Something I have learned is that if you receive fish from a seller who does not warranty them I would stay away. Most sellers, if reputable, will tell you how to go about fish that are not up to your standards. Usually with a pic before the bag is opened...make sure you show the unopened bag. They won't want you to send them directly back, but rather put them in a tank in hopes they will make it. If they don't reputable sellers will replace them at no charge when available...there is not usually a refund.

Stay away from online sellers that don't insist on overnight shipping and a signed receipt of acceptance...to risky IMHO.:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts